Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Space Station Going To Hit The Earth?  (Read 194 times)

Offline lemonlimeskull

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Tired of being afraid....
    • Poke This Member
Space Station Going To Hit The Earth?
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
Usually its my health I'm worried about, sorry to bug another area of the forum. I happened to overhear on the news the International Space Station is having problems. Does that mean its going to crash into the Earth? Can they fix it? Bring it down safely? I know this is a ridiculous fear but my health anxiety has taken a back seat to my proceived death from the skies. I've probably seen too many movies but, whats going to happen? Does anyone else worry about weird stuff like this? Thanks.
Bookmark and Share
I think I'm afraid of being happy because whenever I get too happy something bad always happens. ― Charles M. Schulz

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Space Station Going To Hit The Earth?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »
As far as I know the issue is not one involving its ability to stay in orbit, rather it has to do with one of the temperature (I think) regulation systems.  Even if it were to fall back to earth one day, it should be comforting to think that in all of recorded history that we know of, only one person has been hit by falling extraterrestrial debris, a lady down South was grazed by a meteor that crashed thru her house decades ago, and she was alright.  Pretty amazing, considering meteors (mostly really small ones) constantly hit the earth's upper atmosphere--but few make it to the ground and apparently just about none appear to hit people.  So of the many things one can worry about, you can be assured that this particular worry has such remote odds of happening that it is essentially not possible in terms of probability. Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lemonlimeskull

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
Thanks, I'm just a worst case scenario type person.
Bookmark and Share
I think I'm afraid of being happy because whenever I get too happy something bad always happens. ― Charles M. Schulz

Offline lemonlimeskull

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
That's honestly what I'm afraid of along side this, being seen as crazy cause my fears are so ridiculous. Thank you very much for understanding.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »
Space station would burn up if it ever came towards earth. It was built to stay in space. Unlike a rocket ship which is built for travel and re-entry back to earth again. If we look at space there is so much junk floating about in space. None of it would ever make it to earth. Most will stay in space for good. If some did ever lose its orbit it would either go deeper into space or break up heading back towards earth. Plus if you look at the weapons they have these days. Heck, they could blow anything out of the sky before it reached us. They have played out these types of events for years on computers.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
Hi LemonLimeSkull!  I am a space fanatic.  I was a kid when the first Mercury astronauts went on their flights in the early 1960's, and from that time on I was hooked on anything to deal with space.  The current problem with the International Space Station (ISS), is in a coolant pump, and has nothing to do with the its orbit.  You got me thinking though...  The ISS is not just some little lab in outer space, like Space Lab was.  Surely they must have come up with something to keep it in its proper orbit.  On Wikipedia I found an article on station-keeping in low-earth orbit.  On April 25th, 2008, the Automated Transfer Vehicle "Jules Verne", was used to raise the orbit of the International Space Station, for the first time.  Not to worry, they are not about to lose that station.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: space scared