Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Misdiagnosis of Gatstritis  (Read 377 times)

Offline Andrea24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Misdiagnosis of Gatstritis
« on: December 17, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
Hi all.  I had an upper endoscopy today and my results came back normal.  That's good news I suppose, except I have been on Nexium/Prevacid the last 6 weeks because my primary doc diagnosed me with gastritis.  I was having severe abdomen pains, nausea, random sour tastes in my mouth, etc for about a month.  After 5 weeks on the meds, my condition improved to a large degree but I was still having symptoms--hence the referral to the gastro doc for the endoscopy.  Fast forward to today, and despite all of my ongoing stomach symptoms, my endoscopy was normal.  My normal results are making me question whether I ever had gastritis in the first place or if it was something else entirely (and the symptoms just started to improve on their own).  I also wonder whether I could still have less severe gastritis and it not show up on the endoscopy--the nurse noted that I coughed multiple times during the procedure.  From what I have read online, coughing can skew the results.  I'm just looking to get anyone's thoughts on this matter.  I have developed bad health anxiety--which I'm sure is manifesting now--over the past few months.  I think my depression/anxiety could have been causing my GI symptoms all along.  Has anyone experienced terrible abdominal pain only from depression/anxiety?
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Misdiagnosis of Gatstritis
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
You might have had gastritis, yes. With the right medication it can be cured within a few weeks. I think depression and anxiety can cause or worsten symptoms like abdominal pain. So even when the drugs cured the gastritis, you can still feel some pain from being so anxious (anxiety makes you much more sensitive for pains). I don't really believe you can "skew the results' if you chough. The doctors even ask you to cough sometimes. The doctor can still see through the camera if there's some irritated tissue in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Andrea24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
Thanks for your response.  It is always nice to hear positive reinforcement. Perhaps I had gastritis at first and now I'm just dealing with depression/anxiety issues. 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
I agree with Daphne. Plus, very mild gastritis may not be always visualized on endoscopy.  I wouldn't worry about results being skewed either. coughing certainly could temporarily move the camera, but they'd just move it right back in place. Emotional state can be very strongly linked to gastrointestinal symptoms. Medications can also affect the GI tract, including antidepressants and birth control pills, so if you're taking either you especially want to ask those questions of your doctor.

For residual symptoms, consider limiting fatty/spicy/citrus foods, caffeine and alcohol, nicotine. Small meals frequently rather than a couple large ones. Yogurt can be really good for you, especially Greek as it has more protein. Some people with GERD/gastritis symptoms have benefitted from apple cider vinegar or aloe solution. The above may be helpful whether it's gastritis or stomach upset from your nerves. Of course discuss those with your doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearlesschica90

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Hi Andrea24 :)
At first I thought I was losing it, but it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who have gone through something like this. I recently had an endoscopy done 2 weeks ago after a bad GI flare up that sent me to the hospital in November. I got the results back last Tuesday and the doctor said there wasn't any scaring or signs of the H.Pylori bacteria that is associated with GERD. You can imagine my shock when I had been taking medication for GERD for almost 5 years for GERD symptoms. My GERD symptoms showed up around the time I started college in 2008 and I graduated two weeks ago and they seemed to have disappeared.  I think it was anxiety that caused these symptoms to show up and that it wasn't GERD in the first place--the burping, burning sensation in my chest and throat, waking up feeling like I'm drowning/choking, nausea to the point of almost vomiting, the stomach pain that you've mentioned (felt like Freddy Kreuger was digging his nails in my gut), going to the hospital twice for uncontrollable flare-ups and missing days to a week of classes which made my symptoms worse because I was worried about all of the work I had missed. My symptoms do appear only when I'm in a super-tense environment or situation, but I'm learning to avoid/ignore them so the symptoms won't return (prayer and yoga are a BIG help also) and to keep pushing forward one step at a time.
Bookmark and Share
Paso a Paso