Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Question about cymbalta ?  (Read 306 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Question about cymbalta ?
« on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
I was prescribed cymbalta for anxiety, but wouldn't raising norepinephrine cause more anxiety, I don't understand maybe I'm wrong but that only makes sense to me... I'm not too educated on meds so maybe someone can help me out .... Also how do ssri/snri effects on anxiety feel differently as apposed to a benzo ... I know they both help anxiety but does one feel different than the other? Thanks and happy holidays to everyone
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about cymbalta ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
I was prescribed cymbalta for anxiety, but wouldn't raising norepinephrine cause more anxiety,

Perhaps. But like with serotonin, the longer term effects of antidepressants is to reduce synthesis and expression of the neurotransmitters they inhibit. See: Serotonin: The 'chemical imbalance' myth. While that is about serotonin, the same thing almost certainly happens with norepinephrine (noradrenaline), though I can't find any studies demonstrating it.

Also how do ssri/snri effects on anxiety feel differently as apposed to a benzo ... I know they both help anxiety but does one feel different than the other? Thanks and happy holidays to everyone

Benzodiazepines (BZD) work directly on enhancing the effectiveness of GABA the main inhibitory neurotransmitter of the brain. People with anxiety disorder have fewer BZD-GABA binding sites (receptors) and the ones we do have seem to be less sensitive. OTOH, antidepressants work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampi to replace those killed by chronic stress hormone exposure.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Well that's perpetuating I'm not gonna take something that is going to make me anxious then? I had a horrible reaction to Zoloft so he wants me to stay away from SSRIS, but maybe it was just that SSRI?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
I'm not gonna take something that is going to make me anxious then?

It may do. All antidepressants may increase anxiety levels in the first few weeks, though not everyone experiences this. There is no preventing it if you're one of those affected, however, starting on a low dose can reduce the severity, as can benzodiazepines or meds like the antihistamine hydroxyzine (Vistaril) if your doctor is benzophobic.

I had a horrible reaction to Zoloft so he wants me to stay away from SSRIS, but maybe it was just that SSRI?

It is hard to say. I'm one of those that can't tolerate any of the SSRIs. They make me manic, but it's possible that whatever reaction you had was specific to Zoloft. The only way to know is by trying another. However, true SNRIs like Cymbalta can be at least as effective as the SSRIs, and in some cases more so.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
I've heard about vistaril.... I took Benadryl once and had an increase in anxiety and like a crawling sensation ... Does that necessarily mean vistaril will do that too?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
I've heard about vistaril.... I took Benadryl once and had an increase in anxiety and like a crawling sensation ... Does that necessarily mean vistaril will do that too?

Perhaps, but it is not a given.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline laineymom

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »

I'm on my second time taking Cymbalta for anxiety/panic and it definitely helps me a lot. I haven't suffered from depressive symptoms, "only" anxiety/panic attacks, and after a few weeks of just making it through the side effects (with the help of xanax), I am feeling almost 100% (I've been on Cymbalta this time for 5 weeks). My experience with Cymbalta has been that it doesn't increase my anxiety, even during the beginning stages, and now, when I feel anxiety could well up, there is a supression going on, I don't go to the bad place I did before, it just never gets there. But I am not without feelings, I just feel like my normal self.

I read your post on the other board about not even knowing what it feels like to feel normal. I can't imagine feeling that every day anxiety and circular thinking and worry about every feeling I have going on for 2 years. I felt that way for a month and thought I would lose it. That's why I went on Cymbalta. And although it is hard to go off of, while on it, I am so much happier. I don't plan to go off it this time. I have resigned myself that I need to be on some sort of medication for my brain to function correctly. And that's ok. Other people take meds their whole life for a whole host of problems, and this is no different.

I think most people have side effects starting any new antidepressant/anti-anxiety med and I also think a lot of people give up too quickly. The side effects go away, at least the bad ones, in most cases, if people just give it time. I know it's hard to think you might have to feel worse before you feel better, but TRUST ME, it is worth it. And make use of benzos when you need to at the beginning (if you have them?). I now do not take xanax at all and I'm feeling good.

Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »
Hey thanks for the feedback that made me feel better just reading it was like a gradual raise in anxiety over 2 years and I finally hit my breaking point I guess.... I have xanax XR I think I'm gonna take that while I start up an antidepressant thanks for the positive feedback again that makes me feel good
Bookmark and Share

Offline laineymom

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
Glad I could help. Feel free to ask any questions, anything you are worried about, etc. when you are starting Cymbalta, I'd be glad to give any help and encouragement I can.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: