Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I am a coward.  (Read 278 times)

Offline RudyToo

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I am a coward.
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
I think this relates to anxiety.

Anyway, I'm on a course, where you get to do loads of activities.. Last week on one of them, someone got bullied, and I didn't do anything about it, because I was scared they'd start on me. Today, I've avoided going to the course, because I don't feel comfortable/felt anxious about going with people I didn't enjoy being around. I didn't think I'd enjoy it because of certain people. I now regret it, and I feel like a coward.

Did I do the right thing by avoiding it today?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: I am a coward.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
I wouldn't say you are a coward. You saw something. You thought the place was not right for you. If you don't intend going back ring them up and explain what you saw. That you don't wish to be anywhere near that sort of stuff. I am sure those who run the place would love to know it is going on. So they can keep an eye out for it. Stamp it out. Get rid of those people doing the bullying. Make them aware of it by phone. Don't even think of it as ratting the bully out. Far from it. By letting them know you will helping a lot of people out. It takes a brave person to do that. Explain you want your name kept out of it all. They will understand. Nobody likes that sort of stuff going on anywhere. Worse still if you become a victim of bullying. So think of the victim you saw. You can still do the right thing and help them out.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
I agree with Cuchculan. And I don't think you're a coward either. You're trying to deal with your anxiety and you haven't figured out yet how to deal with these kind of situations best. You're now asking us for help, wanting to learn how to deal with situations like this. You're not a coward. You were just not ready yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flyaway

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Mischievous
    Mischievous
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
You're not a coward.  The bully is the real coward!

It can be so hard to bring yourself to speak out/take action where anxiety is involved.  I understand the fear of what the repercussions might be - real, or imagined.  I avoid speaking my mind sometimes because of a fear I have of people being upset with me, or thinking I'm a bad person, or hating me.  Anxiety can rob us of parts of us, but we can claim them back.  It takes time.  :happy0151:

If I could give you any advice, I would recommend you speak to whoever is running the course. I'm not sure what type of course it is, but by the sounds of it they could be doing more to support the attendees.

Be kind to yourself.
Bookmark and Share
Everything is going to be amazing.

Tags: