Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: upper right quadrant discomfort, no gallbladder  (Read 512 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: upper right quadrant discomfort, no gallbladder
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
i work for gastroenterology and we see this a lot after having the gallbladder taken out. Post-cholecystectomy syndrome... without your gallbladder you now digest foods differently than before. Go to a gastroenterologist. Also, after GB is taken out, a lot of people experience diarrhea, which is normal and that;s what happens after the GB is removed. You say your AST/ALT are normal, so no liver problems are present, not even just your basic fatty liver disease... which most people have by the time they are 50, and all they do for that is to eat better and lose weight. ALk phos normal so no cholestasis or ulcer or anything. You should eat several small meals a day, avoid chocolate, cafeine, and greasy fatty foods and stay away from vegetable oil. They can prescribe meds for you if now you are experiencing delayed gastric emptying or bile acid maldigestion. This is nothing serious, it's not gonna kill you. You just need to eat healthy and make lifestyle changes and if you don't want to do that then they can prescribe meds to help with digestion. Either way, go to a gastroenterologist. Also, it can be referred pain like if the cartilage is a bit swollen between ribs... costochondroitis. Put heat on the area 3 times a day. Could just be some gastritis... try taking over the counter prilosec for not longer than 2 weeks, or try over the counter gaviscon for not longer than a week. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:48 AM »
I have had right upper quadrant pain off and on for over 9 years and nothing has ever been found. I was told that
one can have phantom pain after you have an ulcer, gallbladder removed, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
i work for gastroenterology and we see this a lot after having the gallbladder taken out. Post-cholecystectomy syndrome... without your gallbladder you now digest foods differently than before. Go to a gastroenterologist. Also, after GB is taken out, a lot of people experience diarrhea, which is normal and that;s what happens after the GB is removed. You say your AST/ALT are normal, so no liver problems are present, not even just your basic fatty liver disease... which most people have by the time they are 50, and all they do for that is to eat better and lose weight. ALk phos normal so no cholestasis or ulcer or anything. You should eat several small meals a day, avoid chocolate, cafeine, and greasy fatty foods and stay away from vegetable oil. They can prescribe meds for you if now you are experiencing delayed gastric emptying or bile acid maldigestion. This is nothing serious, it's not gonna kill you. You just need to eat healthy and make lifestyle changes and if you don't want to do that then they can prescribe meds to help with digestion. Either way, go to a gastroenterologist. Also, it can be referred pain like if the cartilage is a bit swollen between ribs... costochondroitis. Put heat on the area 3 times a day. Could just be some gastritis... try taking over the counter prilosec for not longer than 2 weeks, or try over the counter gaviscon for not longer than a week. Good luck!

Thanks so much! 
One question, since I sometimes feel the discomfort first thing in the morning before I've even eaten, can it still be those things you've mentioned?  I also feel it throughout the day, but I also feel it when I first wake up.  It just seems to be worse (although not horribly bad) throughout the day after I've eaten. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Here lately I've noticed an ache/discomfort around the gallbladder area and a tad lower, and somewhat down the right side. It's not a sharp pain or anything like that. I had my gallbladder out in April of 2012, so I definitely know it's not that.  The past couple days I've noticed it gets worse after I drink my coffee.  Last night it flared up after I drank a pop, which is a rarity for me.  I'm a water person. 
Either way, I'm really worried.  It doesn't help that my good friend is on hospice for pancreatic cancer, so of course now um scared I have that or something wrong with my liver, since they're all close to the same location. 
I had a CBC last month and all my readings were good. 
Does anyone else experience this ?

I had long experience with this.  You can search my posts under "NeverAgain1".  If you have had all your test done, I can tell you that what you are describing is a common symptom of stress.  What is physically happening is that your back and side muscles are tightening.  Try to really accept it is stress and/or deal with what might be causing you anxiety.  You don't want this one to run away with you.

I can't figure out how to search your old posts.

Sorry, I thought you could do a search.  I tried it myself and it does not work.  Okay, here is what happens: Anxiety and tension -- even normal everyday stuff-- has psychological and physiological effects on the body. One of the first places that people feel stress is in their back muscles.  What's this got to do with the side, you ask?  Well, it's all connected.  Contracted back muscles will tend to pull and refer pain to all sorts of places. My problem with this started with a tight feeling in the upper right quadrant (I don't have a gb, either), and I began to panic.  I went from doctor to doctor, even though I suspected that the problem was due to stress (lots of caretaking, life changes, etc.), but each different doctor kept giving me a different dx, until I was in such a state of panic I had to check myself into the ER and then ended up in the psycho ward. 

You may not think you have anxiety, but it is a normal condition of life today.  It is literally the "flight or fight" reflex being played out.  Each time there is a stress, or the thought of a stress, you may not be conscious of it but you are cringing just a little, ducking, hiding.  Try to be conscious in a stressful moment and see.

What to do about it.  If you've had all the normal tests and workups, the odds are you have an anxiety problem. That's the good news, if you accept it.  You must work at what causes stress and anxiety.  I suggest you might read "Mental Health Through Will-Training," by Abraham Low MD.  Also, "Manger your Fear, Manager your Anger," by Low.  Also, "Hope and Help for your Nerves," by Claire Weekes MD.  Also, check into Recovery International, which has been offering peer-supported anxiety counseling for over 60 years.  You have two choices: believe that you have something physically wrong with you and keep running from doc to doc with no conclusive dx, or accept the idea that you have an anxiety problem that manifests with physical symptoms, including IBS. 

Feel free to message me if you want any other info.

Try to accept.

And work at overcoming your fear.  Fear is your jailer.

Best
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Being that you have had this pain so long for years i think it is nothing serious, maybe you are just a little out of alignment, like how you sleep at night. Do you have a good mattress and bed pillow? ALso, you should do stretches every day to help with the muscles, nerves in that area... hold the pose and inhale and exhale... that gets oxygen flowing to the muscles to give them strength. Are you always a little hunched over, cradling the right area for fear of pain? If so, you are throwing your posture off and that will cause tension. Definitely do the stretches and breathing. Eat several small meals a day and avoid stimulants like coffee and chocolate and soda. I think the pain will improve if you take charge of your body and stretch and practice relaxation techniques to relax the muscles, and also eat right. That's really the best thing you can do.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: