Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: upper right quadrant discomfort, no gallbladder  (Read 523 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
upper right quadrant discomfort, no gallbladder
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
Here lately I've noticed an ache/discomfort around the gallbladder area and a tad lower, and somewhat down the right side. It's not a sharp pain or anything like that. I had my gallbladder out in April of 2012, so I definitely know it's not that.  The past couple days I've noticed it gets worse after I drink my coffee.  Last night it flared up after I drank a pop, which is a rarity for me.  I'm a water person. 
Either way, I'm really worried.  It doesn't help that my good friend is on hospice for pancreatic cancer, so of course now um scared I have that or something wrong with my liver, since they're all close to the same location. 
I had a CBC last month and all my readings were good. 
Does anyone else experience this ? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: upper right quadrant discomfort, no gallbladder
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
Upper right quadrant pain is rare as a symptom of liver disease apparently and is the result of your liver having swollen. If it is really really worrying you, an abdominal examination where the Dr palpates your torso would be able to tell if this is the case.

Another thing. Did your CBC include a serum albumin count? I was told by my Dr that if your Serum Albumin levels are normal or high then serious Liver diseise (i.e Cirrhosis is very unlikely). Any potential liver issues below this stage can be managed and the Liver can repair itself (and if your other LF tests were okay there is no reason to assume even this is the case) so you probably do not have anything to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »
I'm not sure if one of these are it, but they checked the AST, ALT, and ALKP for my liver.  All were low and they said that was good.  I had mentioned this discomfort to my dr earlier this year or last year( I can't remember), and she prodded around on my liver and didn't feel anything then.  I'm just concerned because it comes and goes, but here lately it has been sticking around.  And of course my anxiety doesn't help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:30 AM »
I think that any issues would have been picked up at the palpation phase. Abdominal exams are one of those things I think Drs find very useful but anyone with HA can easily dismiss as not being a serious enough intervention or diagnostic tool.

Good news on your Liver results. I know people say that you can get normal results and have liver isssues but when I asked my Dr about it he made it very clear that if they are fine, you are not showing any obvious symptoms (obvious as in when you examine rather than a little pain) then you are very unlikely to be in trouble.

Do you have any reason to think your liver has been harmed? I had some reason to believe I had and have made lifestyle changes accordingly. It really helps to allay any fears in this area.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
No I have no reason to think that about my liver other than that's close to the area I'm having the discomfort.  I used to be a casual drinker, but I gave that up a year ago.  All my CBC's have always been good. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
Sounds like you have little cause for concern. Like me you have had a thorough going over for Liver issues and medical science has come back with a negative as far as it can tell.
Bookmark and Share

Offline averagejoeblow

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
One thing you might have, which I had too, is after the gallbladder is removed, sometimes the nerves regrow/reconnect/get triggered and you might feel some twinges.  If the doc is really worried, a ultrasound can rule out a lot.  Don't ask for a CT, that'll give you a lot of radiation.  I'm wishing I didn't have the 5 I've had.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
One thing you might have, which I had too, is after the gallbladder is removed, sometimes the nerves regrow/reconnect/get triggered and you might feel some twinges.  If the doc is really worried, a ultrasound can rule out a lot.  Don't ask for a CT, that'll give you a lot of radiation.  I'm wishing I didn't have the 5 I've had.....

So you get the same discomfort?  Do you find it happens randomly, or after specific foods/drinks?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Here lately I've noticed an ache/discomfort around the gallbladder area and a tad lower, and somewhat down the right side. It's not a sharp pain or anything like that. I had my gallbladder out in April of 2012, so I definitely know it's not that.  The past couple days I've noticed it gets worse after I drink my coffee.  Last night it flared up after I drank a pop, which is a rarity for me.  I'm a water person. 
Either way, I'm really worried.  It doesn't help that my good friend is on hospice for pancreatic cancer, so of course now um scared I have that or something wrong with my liver, since they're all close to the same location. 

I had long experience with this.  You can search my posts under "NeverAgain1".  If you have had all your test done, I can tell you that what you are describing is a common symptom of stress.  What is physically happening is that your back and side muscles are tightening.  Try to really accept it is stress and/or deal with what might be causing you anxiety.  You don't want this one to run away with you. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
CT scans nor PET scans show adhesions or scar tissue.... 
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »

I had long experience with this.  You can search my posts under "NeverAgain1".  If you have had all your test done, I can tell you that what you are describing is a common symptom of stress.  What is physically happening is that your back and side muscles are tightening.  Try to really accept it is stress and/or deal with what might be causing you anxiety.  You don't want this one to run away with you.

Thanks !  I'm going to take a look. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

I can't figure out how to search your old posts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
Sounds like your bowel is contracting. If it's full of halfdigested food, these contration would create pressure inside it. Sure, it could be something that's not as benign but if you felt nothing when your doctor had applied pressure to that area, it is most likely nothing serious. And you know there is a turning point on the upper right junction of your colon so pressure would create more pain there.

Some would advise against googling but I believe that knowledge is power, and the mind is a powerful thing (so use it for positive, not for anxiety). There is this thing called "irritable bowel syndrome". It's nothing serious and could produce symptoms like the ones you have described but anxiety can also affect the bowel in the similar way. I sometimes have a pain in the lower left part when I lay down but then I suffer through it and in the morning it's gone. Body relaxes during sleep and so does the mind.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
Sounds like your bowel is contracting. If it's full of halfdigested food, these contration would create pressure inside it. Sure, it could be something that's not as benign but if you felt nothing when your doctor had applied pressure to that area, it is most likely nothing serious. And you know there is a turning point on the upper right junction of your colon so pressure would create more pain there.

Some would advise against googling but I believe that knowledge is power, and the mind is a powerful thing (so use it for positive, not for anxiety). There is this thing called "irritable bowel syndrome". It's nothing serious and could produce symptoms like the ones you have described but anxiety can also affect the bowel in the similar way. I sometimes have a pain in the lower left part when I lay down but then I suffer through it and in the morning it's gone. Body relaxes during sleep and so does the mind.

Well, I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past.  I just never paid much attention to it because it doesn't give me too many problems.  But, it very well could be that, and I never thought of it.  I may google  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:12:15 AM »
I just never paid much attention to it because it doesn't give me too many problems.

There's a rule of thumb for you. Sure, you should be vigilang about your symptoms but if you have a pain, don't go worrying and running to a doctor right away. See if it persists, see if it's so very intense, try to palpate that area, use logic. A pain can mean like a million things!
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Tags: