Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared about pancreatic cancer  (Read 407 times)

Offline MmeMulot

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Scared about pancreatic cancer
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
I've been having pain in my chest, sternum and clavicle area, sometimes in the midback behind it, and lots of acid reflux. A friend's mom was just found to have pancreatic cancer, and her only symptoms were acid reflux and left-flank pressure. (It seems like they caught it fairly early, though, so her odds aren't as terrible as usual with pancreatic cancer.) So now I'm totally worrying about pancreatic cancer. I've been low-energy and tired for months and months. I'm 44, so youngish for PC, but it's certainly not unheard of. I had my yearly checkup in October and my blood work was fine, but I only had a CBC, cholesterol and basic metabolic panel, so no enzyme levels that would have shown anything.

I've had acid reflux before and had been trying to wean off my omeprazole for it for months, but I've been taking it again since I had the surge of reflux, and it hasn't really helped it. I thought I might have strained pec muscles at the gym, but I haven't worked out in almost two weeks, and it hasn't gotten any better. If anything, it's worse. I had a similar thing back in the summer, though not as bad -- I thought maybe it was costochondritis, and it went away after a week or so. This is worse and more widespread.

I'm keeping myself from googling, but I can feel myself going on the fear spiral again.  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared about pancreatic cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:03:02 AM »
I think your main fear stems from this other woman having PC. If you didn't hear her story you wouldn't be worried as much as you are. The only way to know for certain is a test. But for now just try and treat the acid reflux. I know it can be horrible. I have had it many a time. Try and not think the worst. That will only serve to up your anxiety big time. You are way ahead of yourself on this one. I think what you heard this woman went through meant you were going to go through the same things. You hear her symptoms and you mimic them. That is how anxiety and the mind works. If things don't clear up, pay your doctor a visit.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
How long have you had your symptoms?  My friend has PC and it's extremely aggressive.  If you had it, you'd be jaundice, losing weight, and in lots of pain.  It's definitely not a creeper . 
And I can't believe I'm giving you this logical advice when i , myself am having a similar fear.  Funny how anxiety works. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
I've had the excess acid reflux and upper chest pain for a couple of weeks. I probably am worrying about PC specifically because of my friend's mom. Otherwise, I'd be worrying about lymphoma. Which I still actually am worried about, too!

I just feel really anxious and sad, like I'm just waiting for the anvil to drop on me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »
I took my cat to the vet today for her yearly checkup, and one of the receptionists was talking to another about somebody she knows with pancreatic cancer.  :sad0147: :mad0228:
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
Seriously, don't you hate when that happens!!!!  Seems like as soon as I obsess about something, it's all around me. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: