Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies  (Read 116 times)

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
I posted a week ago about my fear that I had been bitten by a bat on my leg during the night and have been generally doing well with my anxiety over the past two days. I was starting to think that it was completely impossible that a bat could have bitten me undetected under the covers and managed to leave my apartment. Every door to my bedroom was shut and the only possible way that the bat could have entered was through an air vent. I live on the second floor, so there is questions as to how the bat could have gotten in and the vent is uniquely shaped so I have my doubts. I've looked in every single nook and cranny in my apartment and have found no indication of a dead bat. However, my arm has started hurting today and I am convinced that I now have the symptoms of rabies. I'm so scared that I can hardly function. I'm currently waiting to receive health insurance after being dropped off of my parents' coverage, so going to get a booster shot is out of the question. I got a full round of shots two and a half years ago, so I know that my antibodies are high. However, a good amount of scientists think that the vaccine only lasts two years..if I had health insurance, I would be demanding a booster shot right now. I just don't know how I'm going to be able to handle my anxiety over this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
You need to call your local health dept. They will guide you as to whether or not you qualify to get a booster. Since you do not have insurance it may not cost you. I was bitten by a bat 13 years ago I had no insurance and they gave me the series free of charge. That said I highly doubt a bat got  into your room from whatyou described but call the health dept to ease your mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
Every source that I've read said that if a bat entered your room that you would hear it/find it on the floor in the surrounding area, so I'm starting to slightly feel better about the situation. However, I'm still not completely convinced that a bat didn't fly into my room. But, I would like to think that if it did happen that it would bite an exposed area rather than go under the sheets. The muscle twitching that I had all over my body yesterday has decreased greatly today, so I'm pretty sure that it's not a sign of a sudden onset of the disease. I wish that it was easy to be calm about this situation, but it's just so hard whenever your biggest anxiety gets triggered.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
It's against a bats nature to try to get under your covers. I don't know if this will relax you a little, but in the last 25 years only 4 people in Europe (including Russia) died of rabbies caused by a bat bite. In the USA less than one person gets infected with rabbies caused by a bat bite every week.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: