Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Introduction and, Can anxiety mimic rheumatoid arthritis?  (Read 229 times)

Offline Jenmay721

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introduction and, Can anxiety mimic rheumatoid arthritis?
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I hope this all finds you having a happy Monday.  My name is Jen.  I am new to Anxiety Zone. 

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder just a little over five years ago.  I was fortunate enough to find an amazing Psychiatrist who worked with me after about a month of what he determined was chronic pain (arms tingling, pins and needles, back and limb pain, headaches, insomnia, nightmares, etc).  At the time he placed me on Lexapro, cognitive therapy, and monitored my exercise and diet.  I was lucky enough to recover fully within a matter of weeks.  I continued on the meds for two years until I became pregnant.  For three years, I was off meds, taking care of my beautiful baby and symptom free.  I feel so blessed and so lucky to have had that time away from my anxiety.

Recently, though, we had a very stressful family episode with a relative (along with daily stress), and similar symptoms came back.  At first it was a pain in my left hip, then lower back pain, then burning pain up my spine and between shoulder blades, and insomnia.  I went to my GP who ran a urine test and decided that it was a possible UTI, but cultures came back negative for infection, so they did nothing.  I returned to my Psychiatrist, who after evaluation, felt this was still stress and placed me back on Lexapro and an exercise and diet regimen.  For two weeks, I was great.  Back to my old self.  Then I started getting hot hands and feet at night (enough to keep me awake), then my neck started clicking (no pain) every time I turned to the left (this has been going on for about 4 weeks).  Then I experience mild joint pain in my middle knuckle on one side followed by two days of very mild swelling - not warm to the touch.  My joints in my knees and lower back are cracking more than usual (no pain).  Even with lack of sleep (due to insomnia), I'm not finding myself very tired...I still have my usual energy.  But, I have googled the heck out of this stuff (its like a sick obsession) and am convinced I have rheumatoid arthritis.  I'm so afraid.  I know it is somewhat common, and there are amazing, strong folks out there who lead a fairly normal lives with the disease (at least that is what I have read), but I am just scared and looking for support and reassurance. 

Thanks so much for reading/listening.  Any advice would be so appreciated. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction and, Can anxiety mimic rheumatoid arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Hi Jen, and welcome to AnxietyZone...  You are in good company.  I was diagnosed with GAD some four years ago.  I have been on an anti-depressant since that time, and was just started on Celexa (Lexapro's sister drug), a little over three weeks ago, when the Remeron I was on, stopped working for me.  I work in the health care profession, and I can tell you with what I'm going through right now, I can obsess big time when my anxiety comes up with a new symptom.  I too have scanned the Internet, and even used one of the "symptom checkers".  When I did that it indicated I had a disease that you can only get on Mars, and since I haven't been there in a while, I figured the symptom checker was just there to scare the heck out of me.  I have stopped trying to diagnosis myself...  You mentioned that you can hear your neck "click", every time you turn it to the left.  I never noticed my neck clicking, but I just turned it to the left five times, and every time I did it clicked.  It sounds like you have some great doctors, and that you have trust in them.  I would certainly share your concerns with them (be open and tell them what you think you have), so that they can put your mind at ease.  By the way, how long have you been back on the Lexapro, and how many mg are you taking?  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenmay721

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
Thanks Chuck.  Your reply and support means the world to me.  I so appreciate it.  I have been back on the Lexapro for 7 weeks, and I am taking 10 mg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
My pleasure, Jen...  I have found the most wonderful people on this site.  They share their experience, hope, and strength, and that has helped me so much.  There is a section called Medications/Therapy, if you have any specific questions on the Lexapro.  You are on the lowest therapeutic dose of Lexapro; if that is working for you, wonderful!  You are also welcome to e-mail me.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share