Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: msv in tests with radiation  (Read 369 times)

Offline mhmommy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
msv in tests with radiation
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
just curious what everyone's count is.
i'm very afraid i already have cancer. i've been sick since august, lost weight and felt awful since my dr ordered a pet/ct for what is likely to be a benign lung nodule. i have 3 kids and am so scared of dying and not being around fro them. i'm ashamed to say my count is 34-35 msv since june this year. doctors were aware of all imaging i had and still ordered the pet without asking for low dose or talking to me about risks and options. i was so scared about the nodule i just did it because of the weight loss (probably anxiety) hoping it would tell me i was ok. now my cancer risk has drastically increased about 1/290. if anyone is in this position what are you doing about it to cope, and also does anyone know if radiation induced cancer is treatable? that is the one thing i can't find online or from JAMA or New England Journal of Medicine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tymommy

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: msv in tests with radiation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:19:14 AM »
Radiation induced cancers are no more lifethreatening  than other types.  If i was you, i wiuld try to be as healthy as possible.  Scientists really cant seem to agree on whether or not medical radiation causes cancer. Honestly,ithink there's a ton of evidence that excess radiation may actually stimulate your immune system and PREVENT cancer.  I read some articles on sone hot springs that people in Europe go to all the time and are super healthy.in fact, those that live closest to these and visit them on a regular basis have very few cancers.and scientists are baffled at how many of these people are living so long. Makes you wonder right...i mean we spend so much time worrying about cellphones and nuclear fallout and the fukishima stuff that there is a real possibility that were not getting enough radiation. Sone people even wear radioactive jewelry to help alleviate symptoms of certain auto immune diseases. I think.  What always gets me though is that phrase "what's done is done" .it just kills me.we've unknowingly been exposed to sonething That may or may not cause future problems. Jerks ugh...i m telling you ive spent endless hours online obsessing about radiation and its effects. My biggest comfort is the factthat  cancer patients receiving radiaton typically receive like thousands of msv for treatment. I know a guy that had sone kind ofbad radiation as a child for hodgkins disease and is now 55. He never got a secondary cancer.granted,he did have some arthritis problems they said were from the radiation but more than 50 years later stillhas no cancer.so What ive done is change my eating habits and tried getting healthier.ive lost 80lbs and started eating lots of antioxidants and stuff.hopeful,by the time this radiatin exposure comes back to haunt me (if it ever does)science will have caught up and fix me.lol arggggg i hate HA
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
Hi:) I work at a hospital department that performs pet/ct scans.  At work I recieve about 20 mikroSv on averege pr. day (mostly by preparing the radioactive tracer used and being around the patients after they are injected.  A person over 18 is alowed to recieve a maximum of 20 mSv per year doing what I do...And that is every year! So getting a 45 mSv dosis in a single year isnt that bad as long as this is not something you are getting every year.  It does increse your over all lifetime cancer risk but only by much less than 1%  and it would take decades!  We have many patient getting a LOT more every year.  Radiation is to be taken seriously but it isnt as bad as many think.
Bookmark and Share
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.  - Mark Twain

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
Thanks. Are those all patients with cancer?
Really scared now. They don't tell you anything before.
What do you think of the NLT threshold theory
my hat most drs (good ones ) believe nothing is safe,
and atomic bomb victims got less than 5 & got cancer.
Feel screwed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »
Some have cancer and some are under suspicion for having cancer.  There os something called background radiation.  Each person on this earth recieves ca 3-4 mSv radiation every single year from nature.  There is also a big difference in radiation from x-rays, tracers, atomic bombs ect.  I used to be terrified of radiation, last year I even cancelled a CT scan because I was so scared.  But after getting all the facts about radiation at work I am much more relaxed:). The docs would never fo those scans if they were so harmful...
Bookmark and Share
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.  - Mark Twain

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Hi mhmommy.  I can't send a message again as there is a 3 post message limit per hour. 
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. 
  John 8:32

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
yep thanks dont' think anyone would mind if we posted here?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: