Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Is this actually getting better?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Cheeky_beef

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this actually getting better?
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
Okay so I've been suffering with the physical symptoms of my Health Anxiety for about 3 months now. Hm, about 3 weeks ago, I started to feel calm for the first time in those months when the symptoms first showed up. I was worried about my health when I noticed some blood in a scary place (around February this year). I had that checked out in September and it was nothing life-threatening, and I am currently taking something for it.

So anyways, I feel incredibly relaxed and calm at times, but now and then, I do still feel the occasional pain and burning/tingling feelings around various parts of my body, and I begin to question myself for a minute when the pain pops up and i begin to wonder - am I making any progress? The doctor did confirm it was anxiety, and I feel that i've accomplished a lot with my anxiety as my mind doesn't go into frenzy mode like it did two months ago.

I'm not on medication or anything, as my doctor recommends that I 'tough' it out without any influences unless things took a turn for the worst, or if it was absolutely necessary. I have never experienced anything like this before and it had come out of the blue until I noticed little things in September.

I just wondered if anyone feels like they're going around in circles or if they feel they've actually made progress. I know our situations may differ as I don't take medication, but it would be nice to know how you're all feeling right now. Thanks for reading!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this actually getting better?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
To answer your question, YES, you are "getting better."  I say that fairly confidently with only knowing a few details of your situation.

You are on a very similar course as I am, and we should count ourselves fortunate.  You say you had the blood symptom checked out and that it is being taken care of so I am assuming that here.  The rest is usually anxiety.  I've felt light pain/burning/tingling sensations all over my body.  It's odd and not pleasant, and is almost certainly due to high anxiety only.  By the way, you should thank your doctor because he is very right.  It is best to tough it out if the suffering is not too intense.  When you recover without medication through "acceptance," you know the way out.  So even if you do stop feeling the symptoms, then they come back, you will know exactly what kind of attitude to have and they will come back less and less frequently.  I was so bad last January that I should have probably taken medication, but I toughed it out and now I will never go back there.  I still have lingering anxiety but it is so much more tolerable, and I notice it getting better week by week, with a setback here or there.

It does feel like you are going in circles sometimes because you'll have a good day or a good week, and then you might feel like you're back to square one a day later.  But you're not, you are recovering the hard way (which is good), so let your body slowly keep healing itself.

Whenever you catch yourself with anxiety (which right now still might be consistent), just think "I can do nothing wrong, everything I think or do is right, I don't have to force myself to think or do certain things to recover."  This is a more fool proof way of an acceptance attitude.  And it's true, if you are letting time pass and have this attitude, you are taking the absolute shortest path to full recovery.  You might have preconceptions about what you need to avoid or pursue to recover (such as a certain diet or medication), but the key is to stop trying to recover and do your best to accept, thinking you can do no wrong since your body will recover on its own without your assistance.  When you think you can do no wrong, you start letting go and your body heaves a sigh of relief!

Even with a perfect attitude, you will still have setbacks so try to expect them as a part of full recovery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheeky_beef

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this actually getting better?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:24:57 AM »
Sorry I haven't given more details, but rest assured - it's being taken care of. I could give you the full story if you wish.

I used to be worried whenever the pains cropped up, but now I see them as little annoyances that eventually pass. I've been doing a lot of thinking and realised I had to change my thought processes - the chances of something being anything seriously wrong is quite low, and my family history checks out okay. On the other hand, anxiety is entirely possible considering I was worried for months about nothing, and my life is full of little stresses - both combined together to merge into this beast, haha. Doctors truly are amazing - when anxiety clouds logic, they really know what's best. I would feel uncomfortable at this point to take medication as I wouldn't want to run any additional risks of addiction or increased anxiety, so you and my doctor are right! 

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with anxiety - It's quite cool that you didn't resort to Medication either, and I do admit, I see some similarities between ourselves, with the exception that you've been dealing with it a little longer, but that's what I need - an opinion from someone who has an amazing grasp on the subject - valuable is an understatement!  ;D

"I can do nothing wrong, everything I think or do is right, I don't have to force myself to think or do certain things to recover."

I shall certainly tell myself this whenever it turns up. It's funny you should mention recovery, because when all of this happened, all I could think about was "I had to get better, I had to recover!" when in actuality, my body was fine - I just needed to relax. I feel a bit silly looking back at myself - almost a little embarrassed!

... Thank you so much for your reply - your words really do make sense, almost as if you're a professional or something - well, maybe you are! Who knows? But yes, thank you! You have really helped me!
 ;D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: