Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: So.... at 33yo I was in my first car accident!  (Read 141 times)

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
So.... at 33yo I was in my first car accident!
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Last Wednesday I was in a vehicle accident. We were stopped at an exit that always gets backed up during rush hours, not to mention they are currently doing construction in that area. I we were hit from behind, and than we must have hit the person in front of us. The car looks like an accordion, and they had to cut us out of the vehicle. Lucky us, we walked away with only bumps and bruises.

I'm not sure if it was because I was driving, my first accident, or I was just so afraid. All I kept asking is did I hurt the person in front of us. (After I knew my husband was ok). I go so hysterical at the hospital until I learned that the person in front of us had no injuries. They had to give me drugs to calm me down.

I am trying desperately to not over analyze the situation, but it is just so hard for me not to. My husband keeps reminding me in a very (uncharacteristic) calm voice that it was not my fault. But I don't think it has sunk in yet... it still doesn't seem real. I have seen pictures, but I want my hubby to take me to see the car tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So.... at 33yo I was in my first car accident!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
I was in a similar accident years ago. I was hit from behind which totaled my car, and the two cars in front of me were also impacted. The car in front of me had a pregnant lady in it. My car and I got the worst of the injuries though. I was also worried about the pregnant lady, but I knew it wasn't my fault. The man who hit me was an elderly man, maybe he was on medication or just had slow reflexes, but whatever the case he was at fault.

It wasn't your fault so don't feel bad about it. But it's good to show concern for the others who were injured.
Bookmark and Share

Offline glavey

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: So.... at 33yo I was in my first car accident!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
This may seem odd, but congratulations on making it 33 years before you were in a accident! I was in my first accident when I was really young; I was still in one of those booster seats (my mother was actually going to sell it the next day). It didn't really phase me, probably because I was too young to realize the gravity of the situation.

As for the anxiety, I hate to say it, but it is just going to take time for it to sink in that it wasn't your fault. Listen to your husband; he will help you through this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: