Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I Hate The News  (Read 264 times)

Offline pearlsdream

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • take root in the sun's pond, and rise at the fire
    • Poke This Member
I Hate The News
« on: December 15, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure the news makes my anxiety worse than anything else. I'm being eaten alive. Today I saw something about Yellowstone being bigger than we all thought. I guess it doesn't make the chances of eruption any higher but I'm so freaked out I'm almost violently shaking. I'm tired of seeing scary things in the news, i just want to not be scared anymore and know I get to live a full long happy life, I'm only 18 and I haven't even left the house yet. I know they do a lot of these things for shock value to get people to read. Does anyone know tips for calming when seeing scary things in the news?
Bookmark and Share
Weeping willow, wont you wallow louder?

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: I Hate The News
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
Simple answer. Don't watch the news. I don't even watch the TV at all. No interest in it at all. If something happens in the world I am sure I will still here about it elsewhere. The news picks certain stories only. Ones that will make people react. They want to get at your emotions and at your fears. If it makes your anxiety worse, stir clear of the news. Not worth making yourself worse. Most news isn't worth hearing as a rule.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:35:14 AM »
It's a terrible problem because the globe has opened up as never before and the news is near inescapable. We just had another school shooting just at the anniversary of the worst.

What to do? Be selective in what we watch, or don't watch at all. I limit it to certain half hour shows that I think are less sensational and more responsible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:04:53 AM »
I know.. I have a very hard time avoiding the news. They break into programming... my home page for the internet contains news... it is hard to avoid.

However, since I have been around a long time, I have made a little list of news stories that turned out NOT to be a scary as they were made out to be. And that calms me down.  See, the news and the weather gets viewers via puffing it up.

(1) 2000... got caught in a blizzard. I am telling you... they were forecasting 36 inches. I am NOT kidding.  I believed them. I learned a valuable lesson when it turned out to be 9 inches. They stuck with 36 inches until one hour before the storm stopped.

(2) 2001... after 911. If you don't remember... every single day afterward they were headlines like "nuke could hit tonight' seriously, I have saved some of the papers. What came of it... NOTHING.

(3) beltway sniper. I remember how they said there would be no way to catch this guy, but, there was... and he got caught.

Most of the time... these stories are completely pufffed up.. not only because they want viewers but so that if you don't listen and get in trouble you can't turn around sand blame them. So they would prefer to be too alarmist.

I also keep a list of examples of where *unexpected* good things happened that I never thought could happen to show that good things can happen too. One of those examples...

(1) Elizabeth Smart was found alive after being kidnapped.

(2) various miners have been trapped underground and saved.

Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
Hi Pearlsdream...  To me news isn't news in the United States, it's the "bad" news.  If you watch any world news program, it's 25 minutes of bad news followed by an ending of one feel good story that I guess is suppose to candy coat everything.  I live on the Gulf Coast, and even the weather forecasters get in on it by predicting how many tropical storms and hurricanes there will be in a given year.  My sister worries about that.  I tell her that the number of storms that will occur is what ever Mother Nature creates, and not what man predicts.  It all comes down to sensationalism.  I agree with what has been said, either don't watch the news, or be selective of what you do watch.  And that applies to all programming, news print, and movies too.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
I have to agree with you, I hate the news too. I used to watch the Today show every morning, years ago, but not only are the stories they report absolutely depressing it seems they do it in a way to get high ratings. So, I stopped watching.

I only like to hear the local weather reports. And when I do watch tv it's most always comedy shows or comedy movies---I love to laugh. I also love classic movies.

When I watch the news it makes me wonder what the world is coming to because they seem to report more and more bad things going on, and for a person who is already feeling anxious or depressed it can be difficult to watch.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »
I stopped watching the news after 9/11/01 just way too much sadness.   Don't miss it at all and am much much happier for it.  If something important happens you'll hear people talking then you can decide if you want to read about it or not but not being exposed to constant fear mongering has been a blessing.

When I was a kid, the news was on for 1 hour a day - half-hour of local news followed by half-hour of national news.  This meant there was no time for anything other than what was important.

Now it's 24/7/365 which means they have to fill the time and consequently everything is "news" and since there are so many news outlets they need to hype everything like its Armageddon to get you to stay tuned.

Break the cycle.  You won't miss it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
So I just read that Yellowstone article myself...two things came to mind

1. Y2k? I seem to remember that was going to be the end of the world -- remember how they said planes would fall out of the sky -- didn't happen.

2. I have put off a trip to San Fransisco forever because they said the "big one" was over due to hit. Still hasn't hit.. has it?

Also I would note that these are geologists .. I wonder how hard it is for geology to get funding without some pressing reason? I bet pretty hard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
Yep, the news here in the US is way too grim too often, and often exaggerates things like approaching storms.  I was watching some local news the other day to get some weather info and finally had enough when I saw the umpteenth story about the anniversary of the Newtown Ct shootings.  I mean I get that it was terrible and newsworthy when it happened, and I might expect the local community to do something in remembrance but the way they carried on it was like it just happened again.  I felt bad for some of the parents who probably had to turn off their TVs not to be traumatized all over again.  Its like its not enough when bad things happen, but now we need to hear about their anniversaries too.  Yeesh.
As for Yellowstone, it probably wont affect us at all in our lifetimes, but if it did, well, we'd have no worries anymore anyway, so its not worth worrying about.  All that magma has been down there sloshing around since the last eruption 600,000 something years ago, so odds are its just doing its usual thing. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: