Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Maybe time for medication? Questions....  (Read 219 times)

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Maybe time for medication? Questions....
« on: December 14, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
Hi All

I have been suffering with mild anxiety for pretty much most of my life, it was never too bothersome though until the end of 2011 when it completely peaked.  I normally worry about my health but do spend time worrying about other things.  I've been dealing with it without medication but now I am thinking about maybe taking something to try and help me out.  My GP has recommended citalopram.

For those who currently take medication for their anxiety does it take all the symptoms away (like the feeling of dread in your stomach)?  What I tend to do is get the knot in my stomach and then try and find something to worry about to match the knot i.e I have a feeling in my gut therefore their must be something wrong/I must be forgetting to worry about something and then my brain takes it from there until I have found something to constantly ruminate over which then in turn feeds my anxiety :(  I think that if I take some medication the feeling in my gut will go away and then I can break this awful cycle that I seem to have fallen into.  I am also hoping that it will "clear my head" a little as I have very poor concentration when I am anxious.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any personal experiences.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
It's not about weathering the storm.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Maybe time for medication? Questions....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
Hi HereIGoAgain...  I will be glad to share my experience with you.  I started having panic attacks and then 24/7 anxiety, some four years ago.  I tried a number of medications, and ended up on Remeron, 30 mg.  I had a 100% turn around on the Remeron, felt like my old self, and had no problems until early this summer.  The Remeron stopped working for me (it is my understanding that Remeron is the #1 anti-depressant to stop working or "poop-out on you).  So the panic attacks returned, and that was followed by the anxiety.  My doctor started me on citalopram (Celexa), and I have been on it for three weeks now.  I am having some improvement, but it is still early in my treatment.  All these drugs work differently for different people; what works for you might not work for me, and there is no guarantee that anyone will return to their baseline.  But anti-depressants have helped hundreds of millions of people, and they certainly have helped me.  Since you are going to start Celexa too, you are welcome to keep in touch with me.  The best to you...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
There is no wonder drug that will vanish all your anxiety symptoms. But if you found the right medicine for you, you will notice that the sharp edges disappear, you may feel calmer. This gives you the chance to think more clear and deal with the anxiety. I think a combination of drugs and therapy works best voor most people. I'm not a big fan of therapy myself, but maybe I didn't found the right therapist yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »
I'm gonna be starting medicine soon and there's people in my family that have/ still take it and yeah it can take most if not all symptoms away if u get the right one my family says "you'll just feel normal" ... If yours is mostly anxiety about anxiety and not to many external stressors than you should be good to go with meds... A lot of people on here say it only helps a little bit or whatevr but that's because a lot of people on here have more than just anxiety they have problems that cause it... It can make your life problems go away but I can make your anxiety go away when u take it... Ive seen it work first hand more than once
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
Cant* make your life problems go away
Bookmark and Share

Tags: