Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: worrying worst when not busy, does this happen to you too?  (Read 319 times)

Offline Bill898

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
worrying worst when not busy, does this happen to you too?
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that I can be mostly worry free (other than the occasional ones I can brush off) when I'm busy, or with friends, and my mind is occupied. As soon as I'm not busy or alone my worries are stronger and less ignorable.

Does anybody else find this happens to them too?
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: worrying worst when not busy, does this happen to you too?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
Hi Bill...  What you said about your worries being stronger, and that you find it more difficult to ignore them when you are either not busy or alone, certainly holds true for me.  I was told by both my psychiatrist and my therapist that getting back into a normal routine of working and socializing, was extremely important to those that suffer with anxiety problems.  I guess that the old adage of "busy hands are happy hands", holds true.  I know that when I had my initial problem with anxiety/panic attacks, some four years ago, they pushed me into going back to work ASAP, and it really did help.  To me, anything that keeps my mind out of my mind, and outside myself, is a good thing.  The best to you, Bill...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline glavey

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
This happens to me as well. Even when I am (well, was) working, unless I had something that demanded my undivided attention, my mind would wander. The best way I could explain it was, "There's only me and my brain and we don't always get along."
Bookmark and Share

Offline HereIGoAgain

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
Me too!  Definitely worse when my brain is "idle" :(
Bookmark and Share
It's not about weathering the storm.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
This happens to me as well. Perhaps a more exaggerated example of how this phenomena has played out in my life is that I never experienced a full-fledged panic attack or anxiety issues until after I was married. As a child my home-life was unstable and inconsistent. It would make sense that I would have been most anxious then. My current home, my own home, is very stable and consistent and it is only now, at this seemingly restful point in my life, that I have begun to experience full-fledged anxiety.

Our bodies are amazing and able to push through to accomplish what we need to accomplish which is why we can be busy and not feel the anxiety. When we stop and allow our minds to rest we realize we are anxious. The reality is that we're anxious while we're busy but able to avoid processing it.

Try setting aside regular times each day (even if only 3-4 minutes) to process instead of allowing it to build up all day.

I know how you feel. You are not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bill898

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
Thankyou all for the responses its comforting to hear about others experiences and to find out peoples views on it. One problem I find myself having is breaking the worry cycle and getting busy unless forced
Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
Same here, destructive when i'm alone!!! Thoughts really plague me but when im busy, out or around people in my house its not so bad!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »
Yes! I feel so much better when I'm busy doing something other than sitting idle. I think distraction is a big part of handling anxiety. If you're mind is focUsed on something else it gives your body a chance to recover
Bookmark and Share

Offline glavey

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
Bill898, somethings you can try to break the cycle are reading up on something that interests you greatly. For me, that is anything computer or automotive-related. Also, if you have the time and ability (you might be at work), play a game. Even something like a little flash-based game you play in your browser might be enough to distract you from your worries. Just don't play it for too long or you'll get distracted from doing things that need to be done. Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
Definitely I feel better when at work or when with people.  Being alone is not good in this state, though before it started that wasn't such a problem.  There are things I can do around the house but its better when my wife and daughter are home too, I feel more motivated and perhaps safer in some weird way.  When I am by myself its better to phone people or go outside and do some gardening, sitting around inside I either get very sleepy and just want to hide or simply uncomfortable. Being in the company of others is distracting in a good way and lets me feel more like I am living life rather than worrying about not feeling well.
Bookmark and Share