Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: aniexty over traveling  (Read 197 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 1
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
aniexty over traveling
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to calm myself. I often get anxiety when traveling and I end up getting home sick. I love to plan trips but when I get to my destination I cant seem to relax. Next weekend we are traveling 8 hourd away from home and we will be gone for two days. Anyone have any techniques I could try to help relax myself? Im on zoloft and sleeping meds but even that doesnt totally relax me.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: aniexty over traveling
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
Hi Katie-Sue...  Since your trip is right around the corner, you might consider doing some quick, simple things, like taking your own bed pillows with you.  Many of our homes have their own scents, so you might take a favorite candle.  And if you use dryer sheets, make sure your pillow cases have that fragrance.  Take a book that you are currently reading, or some hobby that you are involved in.  My sister has a knitting project right now.  A tea that you enjoy might help.  You indicated that you are on medication (so am I).  Have you been through any therapy at all?  I'm going to get involved in CBT (therapy) soon, and that might help you as well.  Do try to stay in the moment, enjoying the destination/journey, as well as the time spent at the location that you are staying.  The best to you...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
Ask your doctor to prescribe a prescription of benzodiazepines.  Since you are already on Zoloft for managing your long term anxiety, you would need a benzodiazepine for short term anxiety, and the best benzo would probably be Ativan. For me, taking a benzodiazepine is the best solution, when encountering unexpected anxiety over situations that I have no control over.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline ARose318

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Hello ... I used to have pretty bad anxiety over traveling, whether by car or plane. My first trip with my fiancee was to Disney in 2009 and the entire trip I could barely eat, sleep, I was on edge the entire week but the day we returned home I was fine.

A year later we had plans to go to Vegas and I was freaking out months beforehand and that's when I first starting seeing a counselor and had my Primary prescribe me a short term amount of Klonopin for the trip & let me tell you, between the Klonopin and talk therapy - I had a great trip! We even went back to Vegas in 2011 and as a precaution I got another script for Klonopin and barely had to take any!

I think that being away from home is stressful for even those who don't suffer from anxiety. I agree with the suggestion of bringing your own pillows, blankets, etc. Even if it's extra luggage, it may be worth it to feel more at home.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 1
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
Thank you all for your awesome advice.  Great tips.  I will definitely be bringing my pillows and some tea.  I won't be able to see my psych until new years day so I will see how I do this trip and we will talk more meds if needed.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: