Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: shower anxiety? weird  (Read 392 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
shower anxiety? weird
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
I was just wondering if something  I seem to have developed is experienced by anyone else here. So lately with my anxiety and OCD, I habe developed a fear or uneasiness of the shower. The whole idea of having to take  shower is somewhat discomforting now. I used to LOVE showers, I could spend hours under the hot water. Now, it is like I just rush to get out as fast as I can. It all started not too long after my anxiety and OCD flare up about four or so months ago. I guess really what feeds It is my hypochondriac fear that I'll drop dead any minute now. When im not in the shower. I have things to distract me. But when im in there, my thoughts race. I think, "what if I die in the shower?" I picture myself  just collapsing in there, with no one around. It scares me, and when I am in the shower I get feelings of dread and feel like my time is up. I dont enjoy showers anymore. I just thought I would ask since I am getting in the shower soon and not looking forward  toit. Especially since ive been feeling off all day, ive been having palpitations like skips or something since last night, and I just feel really uneasy. It would be nice to know im not the only one with this!I
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline BeezerJg34

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: shower anxiety? weird
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
I've had similar issues...when my chest pain is bad, I worry about going in the shower and dropping dead. I've had to rush out a few times myself. I am able to relax most of the time now(still get occasional episodes) but I just go in with the mindset that what I'm feeling is anxiety and that this shower can help me relax. Like I said, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does help. I guess try thinking of the shower as an aid instead of a fear. Either way...there's more of us like you out there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wordsmith615

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
When I had OCD really bad I had a ritual to follow every time I was in there or I thought something bad would happen to me or someone I cared about. Now, as far as the shower goes, the OCD has lightened up but I feel very uncomfortable in there like panic or unreal feelings that make me go from about a 4 to 8 pretty quick. I don't think its uncommon Rose.  You're dealing with a small enclosed area and what else is there to do really but think while you're doing the same old routine that you don't have to think about doing.  You will think of other things.  Maybe having some music you can hear while you're taking your shower? Maybe focus on the songs rather than thoughts that upset you.
I use to love long hot showers too..Now I'm very hesitant.  Hope you start enjoying them again soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
I have the same exact thoughts/problem with the shower. I'm in and out as fast as I can. I used
To really enjoy them. Now I get
Anxiety before going in.
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Tags: Music?