Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Introducing myself..and my fear  (Read 205 times)

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introducing myself..and my fear
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
Hey everyone, I just thought that I would introduce myself. I've already made a post on the health board, but figured that it would be good to make a formal introduction. My current big fear is rabies, specifically rabies from bats flying undetected inside a house at night. In June 2010, I was brushed by a suspected bat outside  and had to the take the shots. Since then, I've been borderline obsessive about rabies in general. I pretty much have had my fears under control, until this week whenever I woke up with a bite on my leg. The bite doesn't look like a bat bite, but I know that all bat bites don't look exactly the same. My leg was completely under the covers all night, but I just can't get over the fear that a bat might have somehow crawled under the sheets and bit me! The whole side of my leg has been sore since the incident happened during Monday night. The fear was re-kindled at a bad time too, because I was just getting over a fear that I had throat cancer. My fear of throat cancer was so bad that I went to the doctor and was told that it was all acid reflux related. I've been on medicine for about two months now and the symptoms have just cleared.

I recently graduated law school and am taking the bar exam in February. I'm so nervous that I've contracted rabies and that I will die before I begin my future career. The stress of studying for such a demanding exam is only aggravating my anxiety even further.  Someone please help me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introducing myself..and my fear
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. We are glad that you found this forum. You will find others on this forum who have similar issues as yourself, so you will see you are not alone.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline pburr35

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:46:04 PM »
Hello,

After reading your post I thought I try and give you a little insight. Try not to worry about bats and rabies. I am a hunter and are with and around many animals for years now. The chances of you contracting rabies is very very rare. If you were bit by something while sleeping most likely it was a spider. They can leave some nasty marks. If there were a bat in your room you would hear it. If it makes you feel any better have a look around before you go to sleep. You'll know if there is a bat in your home. Anyway, Good luck and hope you can over come this fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaLune

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:09:15 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am new too! I have had that fear before so I can relate to what you are going through. Mostly everyone I believe has been immunized for rabies. If you havent you can go to your doctor and do so? other than that im sure you will be okay! and besides rabies is a very fast acting disease so if you didnt show signs of it for awhile I guarantee you are okay! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline GADawg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind replies. I looked around my room the morning after the incident and found no signs of a bat anywhere. The only possible way that a bat could have escaped would have been through an air vent or under the doors of any of the adjoining rooms. I don't think that a bat could crawl under the door (my doors are fairly thick), but I can't be extremely sure. I've looked on my sheets and re-positioned myself as to how I would have been sleeping during the night and have noticed two reddish-rust colored stains in the general area. I know that the stains were not present earlier, because I had just washed the same sheets two days before. I killed what I thought was a roach about a week ago, however I now think that there is a possibility that it could have been a bedbug. Common household pests are prevalent down here in the South throughout the year. I'm now starting to wonder if it was a very small bedbug that bit me and I crushed it during the process (very common occurrence according to experts in the field). My mind says that if it was a bat that I definitely would have heard it and felt it fluttering under the sheet. I would like to think that such an event would be loud enough to wake anyone. However, my anxiety continues to be extremely high about the entire situation.

LaLune, not everyone is immunized against rabies unless they have taken the rabies vaccine. Most experts think that the rabies vaccine lasts at least two years, but some think that immunity lasts up to three years. I finished my round of shots from my previous exposure about two years and five months ago. I'm pretty sure that my antibodies are still fairly high, but I am past the "at least two years" mark. The whole situation is just raising my anxiety levels to the max and raising my stress level to the roof. Thanks for the kind replies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaLune

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »
Hmmm well you can check in with your doctor and see if your up for a new one if it will lower your anxiety levels :p. That might work for you? and your welcome :))
Bookmark and Share

Tags: