Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax vs Alcohol vs Drugs Combined ( Which combination is more dangerous )  (Read 292 times)

Offline Ernest

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello everyone, i'm suffering from strongest level Agoraphobia, some panic disorders and strong general Anxiety also mid-level Caligynephobia.

I'm 21yo Male, my weight is 56kg ( 123lbs ).

So i just recently got prescribed Xanax 0.25mg ( 2 times per day for ten days *20 pills* )

So i had experiences with amphetamine, i was addicted to it, everytime i took an amphetamine ( 0.3-1g per day ) i also drinked alot of beer or even wine mixed together and felt even greater, so taking Xanax + Beer is even more dangerous than that or not ? ( I'm not drug addict anymore for about 2 years, easily withdrawed from amphetamine )

Today at 10am morning i've taken one pill of xanax ( .25mg ) and at almost 4pm ( after ~8h ) i've drinked 2 liters of 5% beer, after some time like 1h i've taken half of the .25mg Xanax and i'm now drinking 1 liter beer bottle, it is very dangerous or just people says that is but really its just small effect or it's individual ? Because even from Xanax only i've no side effects, it only makes my eyes kinda "Dried out" and removes my anxiety, also it gives me more interesting dreams somehow ( most of my dreams were that i'm on school like in old times or im at home ) but now i have various of situations in my dreams - even dreaming is way better, not just real life! :D )

Also another question, now when i'm on Xanax i don't have panic attacks anymore in public, but i still have some kind of fear especially when seeing some agressive looking guy, in my head coming toughts like "damn what if he will hit me" and similiar ones, should i ask my doctor to increase my Xanax dose ? Or it has nothing to do with Xanax ?

P.S. I'm using ONLY Xanax .25mg, no other drugs, except alcohol ( while drinking i stay away from xanax as much as i can )
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax vs Alcohol vs Drugs Combined ( Which combination is more dangerous )
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Xanax and alcohol together are a dangerous combination. Both are CNS depressants, and can decrease the respiratory drive. Some decrease the drive so effectively as to be fatal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Today at 10am morning i've taken one pill of xanax ( .25mg ) and at almost 4pm ( after ~8h ) i've drinked 2 liters of 5% beer, after some time like 1h i've taken half of the .25mg Xanax and i'm now drinking 1 liter beer bottle,

Welcome to AnxietyZone, Ernest.

Combining alcohol and benzodiazepines is potentially deadly as both suppress the breathing reflex. You could just stop breathing during the night.

The second issue is that alcohol makes anxiety disorders worse. See: The alcohol/anxiety tag team The amount you're drinking is also a concern.

now when i'm on Xanax i don't have panic attacks anymore in public, but i still have some kind of fear especially when seeing some agressive looking guy, in my head coming toughts like "damn what if he will hit me" and similiar ones, should i ask my doctor to increase my Xanax dose ? Or it has nothing to do with Xanax ?

Anti anxiety meds don't take away all fear, neither should they as some is appropriate. It may be that the Xanax dose needs to be increased, but IMHO, an antidepressant would be a better bet than Xanax. Benzodiazepines are not great primary meds that need to be taken daily. They work well enough, but doctors are becoming more and more reluctant to prescribe them because of the perceived dependency issue. They are even more reluctant when there is a past or present history of drug abuse, so you could find yourself suddenly unable to get prescriptions refilled.

I'm guessing your doctor doesn't know about the amphetamines or how much you're drinking. If so you need to tell him/her as it will affect the way your anxiety/panic is treated. You may not then get the Xanax prescription refilled, however.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
Sounds as if you have an addiction problem which could be controlled if you were on antidepressants..  You could go on a higher dose on a benzo, however as Ian mentioned, you may have trouble getting a regular prescription.  So plan on being on an antidepressant, such as one of the SSRIs

If you hadn't considered this, you may want to get a brain scan, however they can be quite pricey (even with insurance).  I mention this, because you'll be amazed how much alcohol and other drugs have affected your brain over time.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/