Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Paxil alternatives  (Read 201 times)

Offline starstuff

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Paxil alternatives
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
Hello, I am a 26 year old, 5'8, athletically built woman. I have been taking 10 mg paroxetine (generic name for Paxil)  daily for 4 weeks now for anxiety. My mood has stabilized but I am starting to feel less motivated to do anything, even working out, which is my favorite activity (next to dancing and sexual intercourse). I have also gained weight which I am very unhappy about and I'm seriously considering to lower my dose to half a pill a day or even half a pill every other day. I do not like that my energy levels have lowered. I am afraid of falling into depression from paroxetine as I am not as hyper and energetic as I used to be. Even climbing a flight of stairs seems dreadful at times. I have read extensiely on the side effects as well as the possibility of withdrawal after stopping the medication. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way after trying paroxetine and what are the different alternatives I can try myself. My next doctor appointment is not until February. I would like to find some sort of solution that can help me remain stable without the weight gain in the meantime. Your input is very much anticipated. Thanks for reading me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Paxil alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:53:55 AM »
I have been taking 10 mg paroxetine (generic name for Paxil)  daily for 4 weeks now for anxiety. My mood has stabilized but I am starting to feel less motivated to do anything, even working out, which is my favorite activity (next to dancing and sexual intercourse). I have also gained weight which I am very unhappy about and I'm seriously considering to lower my dose to half a pill a day or even half a pill every other day.

You are already on a sub therapeutic dose so if you reduce it even further there would be even less point in taking it. Most people need to take at least 20mg/day to initiate and sustain the growth of new brain cells which produce the therapeutic effect.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
You may need to switch to a less sedating antidepressant. Paxil and Luvox are deemed the most sedating SSRIs. Prozac and Zoloft are more stimulating (Prozac the most stimulating of the SSRIs).  You should discuss the option to change from either Prozac, Zoloft or possibly Lexapro/Celexa with your doctor if you can't tolerate Paxil even at lower doses than the standard (20mg).

Don't ever play around with dosage levels by taking half amounts or skipping doses, at your discretion.  Once you experience withdrawal, you'll know why. 

Get your doctor's permission, prior to any dose changes.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
Why wait until February? I recommend scheduling a follow-up sooner and discussing alternatives with your doc in person
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »
Why wait until February? I recommend scheduling a follow-up sooner and discussing alternatives with your doc in person

agreed with ancientmelody. there is no reason to have to wait so long. it's obvious paxil isn't the one for you. and as someone else said zoloft and prozac is supposed to be more stimulating. i say try prozac, it's been around forever.
Bookmark and Share