Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 9 hour shift, nervous  (Read 178 times)

Offline Fuzyyy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
9 hour shift, nervous
« on: December 11, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
Hey everyone.

I started a new Christmas temp job at a supermarket on Tuesday. To be honest it was good, but it was only a 4 hour shift.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to work 9-6, 9 hours. And I'm feeling a bit apprehensive to say the least.

Firstly, I'm struggling to get my head round how long 9 hours actually is. Whenever I do something I usually compare it to something else that took a few hours to give me some comfort and that I know I can do it. But I've never done anything this long before, there's nothing to compare it too.

Also I'm not a fan of supermarkets. I'm a lot better than I used to be but I've never spent more than four hours in one.

I'm also worried about how busy it will be, in the back room and on the shop floor as it's near Christmas. I don't like busy, crowded, fast-moving and loud places. Hence why I'm not a fan of supermarkets.

Finally I was very tired after just 4 hours so I'm worried that I'll collapse if I have to do over double that!

There's a lot I'm worried basically, has anyone else done a 9-hour or longer shift with anxiety? If so how'd did you go about it with?

I appreciate any replies! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 9 hour shift, nervous
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
A 9 hour shift is a long one, but keep in mind, if you are working then your mind stays busy and perhaps with a busy mind you wont' think about anxiety or what makes you nervous!  It could possibly be busy for you at work since, like you said, it is the holiday season.  Try to greet people, say hello and smile and enjoy it rather than find reasons to fear it (I know, I know, easier said than done!)  You should get a couple breaks and also a lunch during this 9 hour shift and that will help break it up for you....I have a feeling you are going to do just fine!!!!!  Let us know how it goes!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Fuzyyy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I get 2 15 minute breaks and one half an hour so I was hoping to split them up; one 15 minute on the morning, half an hour for lunch and one 15 minute on the afternoon.

It's just all a bit overwhelming considering how long it is! :)

I'll let you know!:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
Looking forward to hearing how it goes!  Take yourself a nice warm bath, have a cup of hot tea and jump in bed and get some good rest before your shift tomorrow!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: