Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out about skin cancer  (Read 316 times)

Offline spacetime

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out about skin cancer
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
Hi, I'm 28 years old and two years ago had a new mole show up.  It is two different colors and raised.  It almost looks shiny.  I'm really freaking out that it's skin cancer and since I let it go for two years the cancer has metastasized all over my body and I'm going to die from it.  I know I need to see a dermatologist but I'm so scared I can't bring myself to do it.  Anyone have experience with something similar?  Am I being irrational? 

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out about skin cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
If you are concerned about a mole, than I would go to a dermatologist. Avoiding going does not help matters. It may also help your piece of mind when all turns out to be OK.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline spacetime

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:08:51 PM »
When you say that everything will turn out okay....do you mean I'm not going to die really soon from skin cancer?  (I know it sounds crazy but this is seriously how I'm feeling right now.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SighNoMore

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I'm sure you will be fine. I have had several moles removed bad all of them were weird looking. I understand your fear about not wanting to go to the dermatologist, but I encourage you to go and have things checked over. I'm not a doctor or test pusher, but getting a skin exam is good practice for all of us.

I know your fear, and I totally understand why you feel the way you do. Hang in there!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wurriedsick

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
Most skin cancers are localized and don't spread. I had a fishing buddy who had a cancerous mole on his face for years and finally had it removed. The ones to be scared of are the flat moles that change colors and are spreading inwards which it doesnt sound like you have. I just went to the derm last week to get checked out because I have moles and marks all over my body. Take care of your skin and use spf 30
Bookmark and Share

Offline LebronGOAT

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »
the only way to know is to go to a dermatologist and get it checked out. take the initiative, it won't hurt
Bookmark and Share

Offline PennyPanic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
Well, I have my yearly skin check today...I scheduled it earlier so I could hopefully get through Christmas and New Years without another test hanging over my head.  I'm scared, didn't sleep last night at all...but I know that i'm doing the right thing.  EVERYONE should get at least yearly skin checks, imho.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimbobrooney

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
Most skin cancers are localized and don't spread. I had a fishing buddy who had a cancerous mole on his face for years and finally had it removed. The ones to be scared of are the flat moles that change colors and are spreading inwards which it doesnt sound like you have. I just went to the derm last week to get checked out because I have moles and marks all over my body. Take care of your skin and use spf 30

You should be a little clearer here i reckon as lots of people have lots of moles that change and become darker and are perfectly normal. I had one recently and it took the dermatologist 1 minute of looking at it to say that it was ok.

Dangerous moles are moles that KEEP changing , adding in new colours (black , brown, blue, red) , growing all the time and the border and symmetry changing on a CONTINUAL basis.

Normal moles change and then stop changing but dangerous ones keep changing. Get all moles that change checked but no need to be concerned unless one keeps at it.

Also black moles are perfectly normal (even though its all over the internet about them being dangerous)

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
Skin cancer does not just have to be from a mole. It can come from a freckle, a sore that does not heal,
a spot that just appears out of nowhere, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline PennyPanic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »
For those in the future left wondering...had my skin check today and all clear. Phew...  The waiting (as usual) was the worst part.  It is really so easy, you go in, they talk to you...they give you a silly gown...you change.  The doc tries to make jokes as he checks over every square inch of your body.  If there is anything remotely questionable it gets cut and biopsied...just to be safe.  If nothing, you just go and are good to go until your next check up.  Please, please, please...if you have any questions, just get a skin check...it's easy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: