Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Confession: I have this fear that if I don't worry....bad things will happen  (Read 350 times)

Offline PennyPanic

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Confession:  I have this fear that if I don't worry....bad things will happen.  I do realize intellectually that that makes no sense.  I get that.   But I still have this irrational fear or not worrying.  Sigh...
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 84
    • Poke This Member
I can relate to this. I think it stems back to a need for control, or at least feeling like you're in control, right? If you're vigilant about something, then you can control its outcome (not true), and perpetuating worry is one way to stay vigilant.

This is very common amongst anxious types, and something I need to remind myself all the time doesn't work.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
I can totally relate to that as I am the same! It's like if I worry all the time, then I won't be shocked when something bad happens, if I don't worry it might sneak up on me! In reality... if something is going to happen, it will happen regardless!!
Bookmark and Share

Online anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
I totally relate!! This us a huge OCD of mine. It also hinders my progress of working through my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline adbukovsky

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
Same thing! I always think that if I allow myself not to worry, let my guard down, and just be "happy", that bad ***** will just happen.
Bookmark and Share
Find the calm you seek, within yourself.

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This is something I think I have had for a long time. Much longer than I have had health anxiety. I used to worry that I wasn't worried about exams when I was at school. It's horrible because thinking this way means you can never relax ever. Horrid.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
yes! jessica ortner has great tapping on this. if i didn't feel sick from ct scans over the summer i might feel reassured by her.
im afraid i have cancer and keep looking into it (control) but i don't have any control at this point..
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I actually share this same worry and I'm pretty sure it stems from my bad OCD when I was younger. I thought that if I didn't worry and perform specific actions (such as keeping the volume on the TV at an even interval, bad things would happen. Although its not as bad now that I'm older, I still feel certain things have to be a certain way, and if I don't constantly worry, something bad will happen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: