Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: splinter hemorrhage in thumb nail - bacterial endocarditis  (Read 792 times)

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: splinter hemorrhage in thumb nail - bacterial endocarditis
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 05:26:30 AM »
I suggested to go to a doctor because you seek reassurance here, but go anxious again every time. Besides, you seem to be "poking" the, what I think, splinter wound, increasing the risk of an infection. I don't think it is anything bad at all, I just think your best chance for a little peace of mind is to visit a doctor and let the doc tell how to treat this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 84
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
Yeah; you're right.  :(

Its just so hard to remain calm

I know—I never said this was an easy process. Anyone who tells you it is is either lying or has never had to go through it.

But that's why at least trying to make an effort is important. Because it will get easier the more you do it. Being aware of why you're doing what you're doing is helpful, too—no one's going to suggest you look stuff up online, but hey, we all do it. What's important is that you understand that IF you choose to use google image search to diagnose yourself, it WILL lead to more anxiety. Reassurance seeking WILL keep you in a cycle of anxiety. This mindset might not make things easier at the start, but self-awareness will never, ever, ever be a bad thing.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Thank you for being honest about tackling this. I have an appointment tomorrow w/ my PCP. Hoping for the best on this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
I have a tiny blue spot on a toenail after trying to cut out an ingrown nail, and I already knew about melanoma under the nails since my husband has had some pre melanoma spots removed. Of course, I still had to worry.

I looked up the stats.  Less than 2 people in a MILLION are diagnosed with melanoma under the nail bed.  36% of those are black people. Next is Islanders and Non-white hispanics.  White is the last and white women tend to have theirs found earlier, a thinner 'tumor' with a SUPER high cure rate.  Looking at your pic, I'd say your chances are less than 1 in a million!

That being the case,  this looks nothing like melanoma to me!  Brown or black is not a short purple streak. I'm going to bet you opened  a pop top can with that finger nail and it pulled it away from the nail bed.

The lines that indicate heart concerns run across the nail if I remember correctly and start at the nail bed and move up as they grow out. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »
Hey everyone,

Yesterday was a bit of a roller coaster to say the least. I showed my DR the line on my thumb to which he responded with "this is interesting indeed, it doesnt appear to be anything cancerous; let me grab some tools" and left the room.  :dazed:

He came cameback in and poked and prodded at it and actually able to scrape some of the dark stuff out. He said that its soft and thats definitely a good thing and that it most likely blood that pooled under the nail somehow. He reassured me that it looks nothing like anything he would consider anything cancerous and rest easy. I asked him if he was sure and openly admitted my reasons for concern. My Dr responded with; "Whoever wrote what you read is completely full of *****" he then told me that if i think I have a disease based on something I read online; odds are I do not and will not ever have that disease. He then told me "Webmd is bad for my health and to stay away from it"  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
Glad your doc reassured you and that you can see a little humor in what he said :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 84
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 12:53:57 PM »
Yes, that's great!

The important question now, however, is are you going to remember what your doctor said the next time you freak out about something health related?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: