Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Not sure what to do.  (Read 187 times)

Online Yellowflash23

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not sure what to do.
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »
Hi everyone, I have a situation at home that I'm not sure how to handle. I'll start talking about me. I was diagnosed with GAD about a year after my aunt whom I was living with passed away quickly to ovarian cancer. This triggered my anxiety and in particular about my health. I was put on 20 mg a day of Citalopram and weekly sessions with therapist. Things have been going good for until about a week and half ago.
The problem is my older brother who life's with me. He has suffered off and on the last 15 with depression, bi-polar and anxiety. He has been commited to a mental ward for suicidal thought and attempts. Recently. He has been diagnosed and prescribed meds for all three and was up in rehab for painkiller addiction. After if relased, he has had several episodes of coming into my room in the middle of night completely lucid and rambling about things or hallucinating about seeing a women i dark rooms and the moving doll faces. He is a lot of pain too becuase he still suffering from wthdrawl.
I don't what to do I. This situation. He been refers to th local mental insinuation for therapy and all that, but these episodes show that he may need 24 care that me and my mother can't provide. Also his illness is making me worried that it may make me worse the more I'm exposed to him. I know he stated several times that he doesn't want to be commited and I know most of time they need propable cause for cops and hospitals to place in one. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Not sure what to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »
Hi . . .it is a difficult situation . . . I am not a med professional so I will speak from an individual perspective . . .

To me, your brother needs more help than either you or your Mom can provide. If his behaviour is as you describe it, then he is potentially a threat to you and anyone else in the house. I would suggest, and these are only suggestions, that you consider the following:

1.  contacting your own doctor and explaining the situation to find out what the options are -- this is a health concern for you because of your own GAD;

2.  depending on what your doctor advises, contact your police force, explain the situation, and ask them what their protocols are;

3.  consider getting a lock for your bedroom door --- for me, with anxiety, the worst thing are "surprises" . . . . and especially if I am asleep; and,

4.  remember that as much as you may want to help your brother and keep him out of an institution, you have to consider your health also . . . your brother does not seem to be responding appropriately to the meds + outptient care and probably is not able to make informed choices right now and perhaps intensive inpatient care might be a difficult choice, but it may be the best one before his behaviour escalates . . .withdrawal, at the best of times, is difficult but coupled with derression, bipolar, and anxiety, it does need professional intervention . . .

Please let us know how you and your Mom are doing when you can . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
I agree with kconnors.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online Yellowflash23

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to give an update on the situation. He went too his pysch appointment today and was admitted again. Apparently, he was hallucinating even there and they realized he needed the care. It's kind of a big relieve  for me and I just had a 12 hour nap because I was having broken sleep
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
Thank you for updating us . . . as much as it is stressful, your brother is in a better space than being outside of the facility . . .think of it this way . . . your brother could, during an episode, walk out of the house; do something that he does not even remember to someone; get arrested or even worse killed, etc.

This way, he is being taken care of (which you could not have done); you and your Mom feel safe in your home; and both of you can get some well deserved sleep and relief from being hypervigilant . . . .

If and when the professionals go to release him, do consider alternatives for his well being as well as yours and that of your Mom . . .take care, keep in touch when you can . . .kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything