Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety or delusions?  (Read 254 times)

Offline BlizzardThunder

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety or delusions?
« on: December 11, 2013, 12:00:11 AM »
So, let me start this off my saying that I have many friends that I talk to every day. Well, I have not talked to two of these friends in about 36 hours and it is making my uneasy. I started think that they are together and avoiding me, but this is nearly impossible because they live three hours apart from each other and one of them can't drive yet. I don't actually believe this, I don't think, but I cannot get this thought out of my mind.

On top of this, I don't know whether I have more anxiety from the thought itself, or from the fact that I am having these thoughts. I have been deathly afraid of developing a psychotic disorder, so this is really worrying. I know that irrational fears are part of anxiety, but I don't know if this is past the normal threshold.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety or delusions?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »
I think to fit the definition of psychosis the notion about your friends would be of such conviction that no one could talk you out of the belief and you would firmly believe it.  Your description does not fit.  So, in my opinion it is anxiety about your thoughts that is worrying you.  It is not past the normal threshold, not even close.  Your rationale challenging the notion seems very reasonable to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:39:13 AM »
Yeah, delusions are embraced with confidence. This is anxiety (always based on doubt of some form or another, in my experience).
Bookmark and Share

Offline bbwire

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
You sound just like me man, this is horrible what we are going through check out my post see if you can relate

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,79917.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
People with anxiety can have delusions and be aware of them if they aren't severe. If you're going to develop a psychotic disorder though it's going to be more extreme than what it sounds like you're experiencing.

People with anxiety and depression have psychotic experiences, it's not unusual. The line between just having anxiety and depression and having a "psychotic disorder" isn't as well defined as a lot of people think. That being said, if you experience severe psychotic symptoms you're not going to be aware of what's going on until after it's over.

You probably are experiencing low-level delusions, but that doesn't mean you're going to start doing bizarre things in public. People who are more vulnerable to psychosis experience a different level of this stuff. Moreover, it's possible to experience a variety of psychotic symptoms and be aware of them, but it's when it becomes severe and very out of control that people get hospitalized.

Anyway, it's best not to focus on these feelings I think and instead concentrate on what's important in your life and try to manage your stress level as best you can.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety delusions