Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety is back again  (Read 74 times)

Offline asu729

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety is back again
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
Hi,

I am a late 20's male that has been dealing with anxiety since the age of 17.  It began as sleep paralysis at that age, and it disappeared until I went through a rough patch in life at the age of 23.  It returned then as panic disorder that ended with a trip to the ER due to feeling "out of control" probably exacerbated by dehydration.  Now at age 28 it is back again, and this time it is even worse.

I have been on Prozac the previous two times, but I am always afraid that those medications have side effects that worsen anxiety/depression (go figure).  I am afraid at this time that my anxiety has come from alcohol abuse.  Not the sort of binge drinking/black-outs from back in college, but a sustained 3-5+ high-alcohol beers every day for the past year and a half.  I drink beer because I love to and it is relaxing, not because of problems in my life, but I feel that it is now a crutch I need every day (I used to be addicted to cigarettes, and did various drugs between the ages of 17-22). 

Since March of this year, I have noticed the following symptoms and I am not sure if it is the alcohol making my inherent anxiety worse:  frequent panic attacks, impending sense of doom/dread, feeling of worthlessness, feeling of being out of body or out of control.  These feelings happen when I am watching a movie or walking around the mall or driving...aka normal things.  I am in a wonderful relationship and am doing better than ever in graduate school on the way to my career, and yet I feel terrible 50% of the time.  Sometimes I find sobriety a strange and discomforting feeling, and sometimes it feels normal like it should.

Here is my dilemma:  I know that continuing to drink at this level is making my anxiety worse, but I am afraid to quit because I do not want to have another ER episode.  I am also hesitant to take medicine, but I do want to see a psychiatrist to see if there are any short-term (3 months or less) solutions to help me.  I don't think I need rehabilitation or AA, but I want to make a fundamental change and I want to be safe doing it.  Any advice would be very beneficial.  If not, then it was nice just being able to type out my feelings.

Thank you.
-asu
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety is back again
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:16 AM »
Hi asu,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I would agree that alcohol is not the best solution for dealing with the anxiety.  I would highly recommend seeking therapy to learn better mechanisms and tools for coping with the anxiety.  If you can put some tools that help you into practice then you could hopefully stop the use of alcohol without worrying about ending up back in the ER.  I hope you are able to find some answers and support here on the site.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: