Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Saw psychiatrist for first time, came back with all sorts of meds  (Read 1982 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Saw psychiatrist for first time, came back with all sorts of meds
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »
One thing I know for sure is that after getting the flu 2 years in a row...I am DEFINITELY going to get a flu shot next year.

Good idea. I have an overactive immune system so rarely get the flu, etc. The last time was 26 years ago while in hospital after developing PD. Terrible places hospitals, full of sick people coughing and spluttering. :)

However, since I was reduced to one lung my doctor has insisted I get a shot every year anyway which would be okay except he's hopeless at injecting, he holds the syringe like a dagger and plunges it in like he means to take my arm off so I now insist the nurse does it, or if she's not available, I do the deed myself.

Ian

PS: I was wrong about NAC being added to some paracetamol formulations to prevent hepatotoxicity. They actually add the amino acid methionine, which is a cysteine precursor. But NAC is definitely the antidote used in ERs, usually administered intravenously.
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
Hi everyone! Here to update you all on my recovery. The med cocktail I'm on right now is 20mg prozac, klonopin .5mg x2 a day, and trazodone 100mg at night. and let me tell you, i feel completely different than I did a year ago. It is amazing how I feel, it's just I feel so...normal? I would not consider myself agoraphobic anymore, and I would say my anxiety levels are extremely low, just normal anxiety levels that most people have. No constant worrying, no fear of leaving my house because something bad will happen, no more obsessing over my blood sugar, it's all gone. I feel like my true old self. Social, talkative, engaging, excited, interested in life. My depression has almost disappeared, but it still lingers, though I have only been on the therapeutic dose of prozac for 4 weeks, so I am sure it will get even better. But I know it's different because when I wake up in the morning, I actually feel AWAKE and I am in a good/pleasant mood, looking forward to the day! Even my biggest triggers, which is when I am home alone all day, I feel fine. I don't feel sad, alone, suicidal, I simply feel bored in those situations now. Still do have my crying episodes, but I am pretty emotional is there is still stress in my life. And the trazodone, while admittedly not so amazing, it helps me to unwind so much at night and actually sleep and stay asleep through the night. It does take a while to kick in for me, 2 hours, but when it does I feel sedated in a way different from benzos, or antihistamines. It is just a calm gentle sleepiness, and I am ready for bed. No anxiety or depression during bedtime that kept me up all night. Overall, I would say I am about 85-90% recovered, or in remission you could say. I was so happy that I went to a psychiatrist who was understanding and gentle with me. To sum it up: meds have increased my quality of life greatly, from having 0 quality of life to actually feeling good, normal. I will still keep you all up to date in case anything happens, but I am going to start working on my life now that I am able to. Also going to see a counselor. I hope everyone finds the peace that I am just beginning to find. Good luck to everyone out there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »
Hi everyone! Here to update you all on my recovery. The med cocktail I'm on right now is 20mg prozac, klonopin .5mg x2 a day, and trazodone 100mg at night. and let me tell you, i feel completely different than I did a year ago. It is amazing how I feel, it's just I feel so...normal?

I'm glad it is working for you.  :happy0151:You've only been on Prozac for a few weeks so there should still be improvement to come.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »
CORRECTION:   :sign0190:

I have no idea of what dose may be effective, but I take about 1,000mg of NAC daily to reduce fluid buildup in my lung and so far it hasn't done me any harm, unlike the med i was prescribed for this which had me gasping for breath. There is also some evidence that NAC may enhance the effectiveness of antidepressants for OCD.

Since I wrote this I've become aware of a new study which finds that NAC (and also vitamin E) should not be taken by anyone at risk of lung cancer, i.e. smokers and those with some types of lung disease. (Study abstract)

Furthermore, if the authors are correct in believing that antioxidants increase cancer risk by making it harder for the immune system to find and destroy cancerous cells then all such supplements may be suspect. This isn't the first study to find that taking concentrated antioxidants can be risky. A few years ago two large-scale studies testing the effectiveness of beta-carotene in preventing lung cancer had to be aborted when it became clear that the supplements were actually causing far more cancers. The safest way of boosting antioxidants levels may be by eating the foods that contain them, not with supplements. These contain other compounds, few of which we know much about, which may moderate the harmful effects while boosting the beneficial ones.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything