Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hoping this is anxiety  (Read 289 times)

Offline iluomoazzurro

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hoping this is anxiety
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
Hey all, I'm new and I guess I'll share why I'm here.

4 months ago I returned home from a long day of interning at the hospital's local cardiac rehabilitation center. I remember I was really tired that day and when straight to bed for a nap. But after a while my dog starting howling for some reason waking me up. I starting screaming at it from upstairs and went to my computer.
     After awhile sitting I started to notice my left arm was numb and my chest had discomfort. (This has happened before in college months earlier when I drank a energy drink) but then I had back pain between my shoulder blades and that really freaked me out since that was one of the last words my late father said to his friend before he had a heart attack.
     Hours past and I went to the ER in the middle of the night since these were all heart attack symptoms and got blood tests, an EKG and an X-ray.... all came back fine. Next week I went to a PCP and she found nothing even though I was still feeling symptoms, then a cardiologist which ran a stress test and an echo..... which were all fine. I'm now talking to a therapist.

The symptoms I've had the past 4 months which come and go are: chest discomfort; random chest pinches; left arm numb; sleep paralysis; back pain; pain back of head; palpitations; left leg discomfort; fatigue; left shoulder discomfort; tickling feeling in esophagus(I think); depression; eye twitching; numbness on the left side of my entire back; stabbing head pains; and lightneadedness. The lightheadedness comes randomly as well but when it happened and got my BP checked it was low which is strange since I had healthy BP when every-time I checked when I wasn't feeling dizzy. :dazed:
These never happen all at once (thank goodness)   

I don't know if these are from anxiety from my father's death last summer and being with cardiac patients or I really DO have something and anxious about it. I've always been a worrier without symptoms but this worry's me so much sometimes I'm afraid I'll have an event or just drop dead, I've never been so afraid.
      Nurses and people I've talked to think it might be anxiety, lymes disease, hyperventilation, and others. It feels better when I talk about it and I was symptom free for like 2 weeks where I was even exercising without any pain or anything, these symptoms are so contradictory it's driving me insane as well!

Sorry for the length haha. I hope everyone has a successful journey here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hoping this is anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. We are glad that you found this forum. You will find this forum very informative and
will see others have the same issues as yourself, so you will see you are not alone. Since you have had an array of negative tests, odds are your symptoms are from stress and anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline pburr35

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:05:06 AM »
Welcome to my life every day! lol. Sounds to me like you have anxiety. I am no Doctor though so I would definitely go to yours and rule out all other causes. I experience the same symptoms daily and I too have had all the tests done with all normal outcomes. As a matter of fact I have chest tightness right now and pain between my shoulder blades. It never ends for me. I'd give you advice on how do deal with it but im still on that journey myself. Try google and search relaxation techniques. Practice those every day and it should help. Im doing the same thing now. Good luck and hope you beat it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline iluomoazzurro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
Thanks for the responces. Just reading these make me feel better and hope to help out others as well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
Our minds are truly amazing, aren't they. You might find it interesting to look at Conversion Disorder and other Somatoform Disorders as well. I am not saying you have this disorder but reading about it will help to clarify just how in sync our minds and bodies are. It is possible for us to experience very real physical symptoms that stem from our minds.

I think its interesting that many of your physical symptoms are on the left side of your body. Most people know that heart symptoms/issues typically involve the left side of the body, especially the left arm. You are acutely aware of that your father had a heart attack. I would not completely dismiss a physical cause for your symptoms, however, I would strongly consider a psychological/anxiety-related cause.

Think about it this way: After the death of a close friend or family member it is VERY common to imagine their death. I recall losing a friend in a car accident and could not stop trying to imagine the moments leading up to the accident, the impact of the SUV hitting her car, and the image of her dying. At the time I thought I was completely looney tunes but have since learned that my reaction was very, very normal. This type of imagery is the minds way of trying to process. Our mind knows the person as someone who is alive and available to talk to us, work with us, go to school with us etc. and in order for our mind to know that person as someone who is not alive is a very difficult thing.

My point is that your mind is likely trying to wrap itself around your father's heart attack. Finding some time to relax and to allow yourself to replay those thoughts in your mind might be useful to you.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Dani
Bookmark and Share

Offline iluomoazzurro

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
Thank you Dani

I to aren't dismissing a physical problem of course but all of these random symptoms happening all over my body and negative tests really make me wonder. I'm able to ignore most symptoms except the lightheaded/dizziness which prevents me from doing what I always do!

I'll look into those disorders you mentioned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
I get lightheaded and dizzy as part of my anxiety. Sometimes it also makes my head feel heavy.

Anxiety is a strange thing...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
http://www.*****.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml - Check this website out for a list of common anxiety symptoms.

The best way to calm my anxiety is to be able to distinguish the difference between anxiety symptoms and other symptoms related to other causes. The main problem is when you are faced with new anxiety symptoms.

I recommend you keep a journal/log for your symptoms. If you log them down - the times you have them - the severity of them etc. you may be able to find certain patterns. Recognising certain patterns may help you distinguish between anxiety symptoms and other symptoms related to others causes.

I have constant eye twitching which is made worse during times of anxiety. I also have a lot of headaches which usually last for a week at a time. I know when these headaches are down to anxiety and when they are not.

Recently, I had chest pains and started to panic about them. They got progressively worse over a period of a week. But I realised that my symptoms would come a few hours upon awakening and my other anxiety symptoms were present as well. When my anxiety symptoms got worse (eye twitching and facial numbness), my chest pains would also get worse. At this point, I started to rationalise and realise that they were more likely due to my anxiety than other serious causes. Within 2 days the chest symptoms completely vanished after this realisation.

So now, whenever I feel those same kind of chest symptoms, I know that they are more likely anxiety related. Also, try not to use other peoples symptoms as a clue as to what you may be experiencing. People describe their pain in many different ways but nobody is able to know exactly what other peoples symptoms feel like.

I hope you get better and overcome your anxiety  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: unsure Heart symptoms