Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Health Anxiety? Do I have it?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Zaxanadu

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health Anxiety? Do I have it?
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Hey guys, new to this forum, thought I would register here as I am a bit worried about everything really. I've struggled with sickness, nausea, chest pain, headaches, heart pain, you name it I think I have had it but every test I've ever had have come back with nothing except for when I was recently diagnosed with asthma. I had a gastroscopy to try and get to the root of my sickness and nausea but that came back fine but I have now developed a trouble with my swallowing and it is actually really scary and its not really with food or liquids which seem to go down fine, its just like normal every day swallowing like I feel like I have to put extra effort in just to swallow some saliva and sometimes I struggle and feel like I am going to choke. I've always thought I have had acid reflux but a gastroscopy would have shown that up so my doctor concluded that maybe it wasn't medical and maybe I need to see a therapist which I now have an appointment for.

I just mainly wanted to write my feelings down because they are building in my head and I feel like my head will explode. Has anyone else suffered with the sickness, nausea and trouble swallowing thing and got it so ingrained in their head that it is a medical problem even when the experts seem to say your fine? Right as I am writing this I feel like I have a lump in my throat and my mind is telling me to swallow but its not easy to do so.

Just wanted to write my thoughts really, just to hear someone else that has incurred what I have would be reassuring because I really feel like I am going to go insane

Cheers

Si.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health Anxiety? Do I have it?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi Zaxanadu - Yes this sounds very much like health anxiety.  I have had the stomach issues and the swallowing issues many times and nothing has ever been found wrong with me.   You have to get to the point where you accept that what you are feeling is anxiety and can't hurt you.  You need to trust the doctors and push through the fears.  It is the only way to find some peace.  I woud definitely consider therapy to help you gain some coping mechanisms.  Hope this information helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Zaxanadu

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:28:01 AM »
Thanks for your reply, it is reassuring that someone else has had these problems and yes hopefully my appointment with the therapist will help and I can somehow find a way to cope because it just feels right now that everything is getting on top of me and I can't seem to break free. Obviously I still have my doubts whether it's anxiety and still insist sometimes that it must be a medical issue because how can anxiety effect your swallowing but I guess that is just the nature of the anxiety beast.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hi. I'm a teenage hypochondriac. I'm here to help💕
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
welcome to the forum
You can PM me if you have any worries about stuff

It's anxiety and seeing your therapist will be good. I want to see one, seems like a smart idea and a therapist will really help
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zaxanadu

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
Thanks! :)

Yeah really interested to see what the therapist says because it seems like this anxiety is taking total control of my health, like I've had sickness for ages but my asthma doesn't seem to be getting better (my doctor said anxiety and significantly hinder your asthma) and I get tension headaches which can be quite debilitating at times. The only thing going on in my mind though is "Oh my god what if the doctors have missed something and I really have a bad illness and my health is getting worse because of this" My mind is always in overdrive and whatever my girlfriend, family say about just trying to relax and try to stop thinking about it really isn't possible because I can never seem to get it out of my mind.

Thanks for the replies, I kind of feel a little better knowing I'm not going crazy and all these things I'm suffering from could just be anxiety and if it is anxiety then it can be a vicious beast making me feel like this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: