Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Sick for a month and a week.  (Read 469 times)

Offline adbukovsky

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
Sick for a month and a week.
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
Hi guys!

My  names Ashley, I'm 25, overweight, but in decent/well health.

So for the whole month of October I picked up a cigarette habit that I abruptly went cold turkey on November 6th. Two days later (November 8th) I was sick as heck, with a chest cold and sore throat. Well, it's been a month and a week now, and I'm still sick. The sore throat went away about a week after I initially got sick, but I was still stuck with a chest cold, producing lightly yellow mucus. At first it was hard to get the mucus up, but it's coming out more easily. I went to the doctor after 2 weeks, he listened to my lungs (they sounded clear) and he prescribed me promethazine (cough syrup)  every 8 hours, but I only took it before night time because it knocked me out. I haven't had a fever or anything like that. My appetite has been fine, but my upper back is a bit achy from coughing so much. I finally went back to the doctor after a month of being sick and he listened to my lungs, and once again they sounded clear. 6 days prior to visiting him I developed a post nasal drip. He told me I most likely have an upper respitaroy infectoin and prescribed me amoxicillian, and recommeneded me getting a nasal spray and taking robitussin DM instead of what the other doctor prescribed because it has an exportant in it, which I need.  Anyways, it's only been two days since I started the meds and I'm still freaking out thinking of all things possible. I know that sometimes, even if your lungs sound clear, you can still have pneumonia or something else, and I'm just bugging out. I don't want to get an Xray because I feel that I'll just be worried until the results come in, but if I don't get better soon I'm just going to have to do so. My biggest fear is that I have lung cancer. Can anyone give me some advice? Also, I live with a heavy smoker, so I know that's not helping. :(
Bookmark and Share
Find the calm you seek, within yourself.

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sick for a month and a week.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:12:09 AM »
Still sick. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Try not to worry. I have been sick since about a week before Thanksgiving with some kind of Cough that won't stop. I had a doctor listen to my lungs, sounded good, but it is going. I am not worrying too much about it because it has been a productive cough and my husband has had the same symptoms. I really dislike taking amoxicillian, so I am just trying to wait it out unless it gets worse.

Lung cancer after a month of smoking is pretty unlikely. My mom died of lung cancer and they pretty much know something was wrong right away, so if the doctor's listened to your lungs and thought you sounded clear, you are probably good.

Sometimes this time of year, it can take forever for a cough or cold to go away. So take it easy, try to get some extra rest, and take the prescriptions that they gave you. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
Thanks for responding!
I just can't believe that I've been sick for a month and a half. I never have gotten sick for this long. I have a bad post nasal drip, and I'm thinking that's what's prolonging this cold. I'm on Mucinex for sinuses now for about a day and a half and it's helping, but if I don't take it, it's back to the drip and stuffy nose. The amoxicillian isn't doing anything, and I figured it wouldn't because most colds are viral, not bacterial, but I said F' it anyways and told the doctor I'd try it.

I actually started lightly smoking from the age 15 and quit 2 years ago until I started smoking for the whole month of October. I think I smoked the heaviest I ever did in October, buying a pack every other day. I also live with a heavy smoker that smokes constantly in the house, and I've been inhaling it since I was young. I think that's why I'm freaking out about it, but I know it probably isn't the case, just my paranoia taking over my mind.

I hope that I get better soon. It's making my anxiety and hypochondria so bad that I'm constantly taking clonopin to calm down. T^T I hope you get better too btw!
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
It's officially been a month and a half now of being sick. I went to the doctor on Tuesday after seeing that the amoxicillian wasn't working and they told me again that my lungs were clear, that they didn't see too much of a post nasal drip and that what I have is probably viral and i'd have to wait it out. Even though they said that, I talked about antibiotics, and they gave me a 7 day prescription of clindamycin 150mg 3x a day. I feel that I've SLOWLY gotten better, but I'm still coughing up and blowing out creamy yellow stuff. I'm freaking out that if this sinus issue keeps going on that I'm going to get meningitis. I use everything from neti pots, saline spray, mucinex (every 4 hours), Vics, etc. I'm so tired of being sick! Any one sinusitis with a cold this long?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »
I was sick for a month, but I was diagnosed with MONONUCLEOSIS..stay away from smoking and other toxins, cause that can prolong your viral illness
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
I know I deff don't have mono. I woke up today with stuffy ears. I'm freaking out that this sinusitis is going to turn into a brain infection.
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »
Well in a week it will officially be two weeks of being sick. I went to an ENT and they told me I have sinusitis. He put me on the same antibiotic i was on the first time around (amox-clav) for 2 weeks and told me if I don't get better to come back for a ctscan of my sinuses. It's gotten much better from what it was, but it just won't seem to completely go away. Everyday when I wake up, about a half an hour later I'm coughing up yucky, sticky yellow *****. I'll do this for awhile and then it stops. I'm so worried I have some underlying illness and I'm scared. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
Haven't gotten better. It's been 2 months and a week and a half. I'm still coughing up yellow crap, but seem to cough a lot more now. :/ I'm convinced I have lung cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
Ad - Do you plan to have the CT scan of your sinuses? Maybe you just need to go back to the ENT and get a different antibiotic? Either way, it definitely sounds like sinus issues and nothing sinister. I know the length of time that you have been dealing with symptoms is frustrating though. I'm there with you right now - although, not the same symptoms as you.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson