Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Celexa Update...  (Read 301 times)

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celexa Update...
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
I had been on Remeron, 30 mg, for my initial problem with GAD/Panic Attacks, which occurred some four years ago.  This summer, the panic attacks began returning, and before I knew it, the 24/7 anxiety was back.  My doctor increased my Remeron to 45 mg, but I saw no improvement in my condition.  After three weeks on the increased Remeron, she started me on Celexa, 20 mg.  My side effects on the Celexa included insomnia, sweating, hot one minute and cold the next, and shaking.  Didn't have any GI problems, and I was so grateful for that.  I did reduce the Remeron back down to 30 mg, over a period of 5-6 days, after starting the Celexa.  Yesterday was day 18 on the Celexa.  In the last 48 hours, I have had a major reduction in side effect.  I am starting to sleep better, and I would say that 90% of the sweats, hot/cold temp changes, and shaking, are gone.  I feel more active, less depressed.  The anxiety is maybe a little better, to about the same.  I'm thankful for the side effects backing way off, but wondering when I will see more reduction in the anxiety?  Thanks for any information, anyone can share with me...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celexa Update...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
I am on Zoloft and when I started up I got every side effect in the book including through the roof anxiety.  For me it took 3 weeks from the time I reached my therapeutic dose (I started on 25mg and upped to 50 mg a week later...I know this sounds low but I am a cheap date and very sensitive to meds) for my side effects to start to go away and the anxiety to be reduced.  I have been on it for about 10 weeks now and the sweating still kicks in once in a while but it is a minor nuisance and the fact that I live in FL doesn't help.  My anxiety is still there in a minor way but much more manageable now and I feel better than I have in years.  I don't know much about Remeron but could it be that the combo of Remeron withdrawal and Celexa start up are making it take longer for the Celexa to help with the anxiety?  Also keep in mind that SSRI's can take up to a month or more to reach their maximum effectiveness.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
Thanks for your response to my post, Stressed Jumper!  I forgot to add several side effects...  Like you, my anxiety went up through the roof, after starting the Celexa.  I also lost my appetite, and felt more tired.  I know it's still early, on the Celexa...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »
I know how you feel!  The "nauseous all the time" diet was no fun but losing 5lbs was a nice perk.  I also had horrible insomnia, crazy dreams, and a headache that hung around for a week.  I almost threw in the towel but everything on the forums said to stick it out and (with the help of some Xanax and the folks here) I made it through.  If I can do it so can you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
It could take another couple of weeks to maybe even two months or so. I am on Lexapro (3 weeks total, 1 week on therapeutic dose) and I noticed something similar....my depressive symptoms have definitely lifted in the last four days, though my anxiety hasn't improved yet. Although the mood improvement may be because I had a very good workout and piano lesson in over the weekend, not sure. Either way, I'll take it! Good luck to you on the celexa!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm thankful for the side effects backing way off, but wondering when I will see more reduction in the anxiety?

This is impossible to predict. Usually when switching from one antidepressant to another the kick-in time is less than when start from a clean slate, but how long depends on what effect the old antidepressant was/is having. Remeron is very prone to pooping out so it may not being doing anything which could mean it will still be some weeks before the Celexa begins having an effect.

Frankly, I don't really see the point of you still taking the Remeron. From your description it hasn't done much, but it can add a layer of complication to the Celexa. I suggest you discuss tapering off it with your doctor - don't stop taking it without getting the okay first though.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: