Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Afterimages and trails  (Read 620 times)

Offline Chovito

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afterimages and trails
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
Hello, I'm from Spain and I've 24 years old. Since 5 years I suffer a lot of visual symptoms, but especially afterimages and eyetrails 24/7. I'm going to tell you about my particular story:

In 2007 I suffered an high anxiety and panic attacks, I think it was caused because my grandma died in the same year in my home by cardiorespiratory arrest. But in 2008 I began to see afterimages of all I see, I was very worried and I started to looking for my symptoms on google. I discovered the term "palinopsia" and I was really worried, because my symptoms was seemed and it was caused by serious diseases. Since then I obsessed with my health and all days I'm looking for diagnoses.

In 2010 I did medical tests and all right (MRI, EEG and eye exams). Anxiety can cause this? For 5 years I'm worried 24/7. I recognize that I'm hypochondriac, but I doubt that my anxiety is causing me this problem. I read a lot of stories in this forum and I really feel identified. I don't have migraines or other health problem, I want to go to the neurologist again and do other MRI.

Finally, since 2 weeks I'm seeing lines of candies from the game "Candy Crush" everywhere. I'm playing this game a lot lately by the way. It can be "tetris effect" or a rarely afterimage by palinopsia? I feel I can die at any moment, I'm really annoyed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afterimages and trails
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
I really feel bad and alone. I can't express myself as I would like because it isn't my language, but I think it can be understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
If you have been having after images for five years straight, don't you think that you would be dead by now if it was being caused by something deadly? Aside that your tests came back clear, a perfect indicator that its not life threatening is the time that has passed already. Serious illnesses don't stick around with the same symptoms for five years. They either become unbearably worse or they kill. Anyways, after images and light trails are things that I experience constantly myself and if I focus on them, I would go more insane than I already am since they are constant. Mines became very noticeable after I began getting migraines.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline LivD

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
Hi. Yeah, anxiety can cause these symptoms (and I agree with *****'s post). Have you ever tried therapy to go to the root of the problem and deal better with it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
If you have been having after images for five years straight, don't you think that you would be dead by now if it was being caused by something deadly? Aside that your tests came back clear, a perfect indicator that its not life threatening is the time that has passed already. Serious illnesses don't stick around with the same symptoms for five years. They either become unbearably worse or they kill. Anyways, after images and light trails are things that I experience constantly myself and if I focus on them, I would go more insane than I already am since they are constant. Mines became very noticeable after I began getting migraines.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm worried because this is a strange condition. I see worse than years ago and I think it can be a neurologic degenerative problem (multiple sclerosis). Also I have floaters, weird vision, dark spot on the periphery of my vision, headache (supposedly I don't have migraines), spasms in the left thigh (when I cough I get strong cramp), etc.

I've had a MRI in 2010 and all was well, but I think in 3 years I have contracted a mortal disease or disabled. Do you not think so?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »
Hi. Yeah, anxiety can cause these symptoms (and I agree with 0115's post). Have you ever tried therapy to go to the root of the problem and deal better with it?

Hi LivD, thanks for reply.

I haven't tried but I would like. I'm looking for any solution or an alternative that help me, this is unbearable. I want to exterminate the anxiety and worries. I've thought to go to psycologist or alternatives like acupunture for example.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »
The problem is that if you had these symptoms in 2010 and you had a clear MRI, then you don't have a degenerative neuro disease. If you did, they would have caught it in the 2010 MRI. The vision symptoms your describing are identical to migraine symptoms. Who told you that you didn't have migraines? Migraines can not be seen in an MRI. They are diagnosed from a series of cumulative symptoms only.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
The problem is that if you had these symptoms in 2010 and you had a clear MRI, then you don't have a degenerative neuro disease. If you did, they would have caught it in the 2010 MRI. The vision symptoms your describing are identical to migraine symptoms. Who told you that you didn't have migraines? Migraines can not be seen in an MRI. They are diagnosed from a series of cumulative symptoms only.

I suggested to my doctor I could have migraines, but he asked me if I had constantly headaches and I responded him I don't. Also he told me that palinopsia isn't a symptom of migraines, that it can be a subjacent problem. My headaches normally begin in the afternoon, and no all days. This is strange because I have these visual symptoms 24/7 without headaches; permanent trails and  positive afterimages for microseconds.

My mother has migraines and my grandpa had also. I heard that it's hereditary, but my doc said that I don't suffer this. I prefer to have migraine that other neurological problem more dangerous, it would be a relief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
Acupuncture, as far as I know, get you more relaxed but the effect doesn't last. Therapy can give you the means to make your life better overall. It isn't a quick fix but if you find a good therapist it really works. I see some results quite soon with my therapist (I started in April).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Acupuncture, as far as I know, get you more relaxed but the effect doesn't last. Therapy can give you the means to make your life better overall. It isn't a quick fix but if you find a good therapist it really works. I see some results quite soon with my therapist (I started in April).

I'm going to go with a gestalt therapist, I think it can help me with my anxiety problems and worries. Do you have eye problems too? I refer to afterimages, trails and inexplicable symptoms.

P.S. In ambients with low light I see like grey circles and blurred on my central vision, I can see better with the periphery of my eyes. Also if I no move the eyes I begin to loose my vision gradually to see a blur (as blindness). Really strange, more worries.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
I too have visual symptoms including afterimages, eye floaters, blurriness if I focus for too long, etc. . I noticed you said that these images last for "microseconds". Most people would not notice something that lasted for a microsecond. Hypervigilance is symptom of anxiety which basically means being acutely aware of sensory input. For others, this acute awareness causes them to startle easily, hear even the slightest noises, or respond very emotionally to seemingly reasonable situations.

It's like this: have you ever been really afraid at night? Perhaps this happened to you when you were a kid. You probably heard every little noise inside the house and outside of the house -the floor creaking, a door moving, the wind howling, etc.

The same thing is likely happening with you're vision. As an anxious person you are more likely aware of things in your vision. When you noticed what you thought was a visual disturbance you focused on it and begin looking online to see what it was. Then, you unconsciously started to look for it and, of course, you noticed it again and again. Then, because you were so focused on your eyes you began to notice other things.

Look into mindfulness/relaxation techniques. Google bellybreathing and give it a try. Your sympathetic nervous system is working in overdrive when you're anxious and you can alleviate many symptoms by calming that system down.

Also, as for the candy crush issue I would suggest this: Open the game and get a white piece of paper. Focus on the game for 5-10 seconds and then look at the paper. You will see afterimages of the game because of the bright lights. This is NOT a visual disturbance or evidence of some strange disease but rather a very normal experience.

Blessings to you!
Dani
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
Yes, I have visual symptoms (now they're much better), check my other posts.
Take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chovito

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
I too have visual symptoms including afterimages, eye floaters, blurriness if I focus for too long, etc. . I noticed you said that these images last for "microseconds". Most people would not notice something that lasted for a microsecond. Hypervigilance is symptom of anxiety which basically means being acutely aware of sensory input. For others, this acute awareness causes them to startle easily, hear even the slightest noises, or respond very emotionally to seemingly reasonable situations.

It's like this: have you ever been really afraid at night? Perhaps this happened to you when you were a kid. You probably heard every little noise inside the house and outside of the house -the floor creaking, a door moving, the wind howling, etc.

The same thing is likely happening with you're vision. As an anxious person you are more likely aware of things in your vision. When you noticed what you thought was a visual disturbance you focused on it and begin looking online to see what it was. Then, you unconsciously started to look for it and, of course, you noticed it again and again. Then, because you were so focused on your eyes you began to notice other things.

Look into mindfulness/relaxation techniques. Google bellybreathing and give it a try. Your sympathetic nervous system is working in overdrive when you're anxious and you can alleviate many symptoms by calming that system down.

Also, as for the candy crush issue I would suggest this: Open the game and get a white piece of paper. Focus on the game for 5-10 seconds and then look at the paper. You will see afterimages of the game because of the bright lights. This is NOT a visual disturbance or evidence of some strange disease but rather a very normal experience.

Blessings to you!
Dani

Hi Dani, thanks for reply!

It lasts microseconds but is really annoying. I can see afterimages of things  I'm not paying attention, for example: I'm seeing television and if I move the eyes up and down appears a narrowest image of the screen (I see the image without paying attention to TV content). Wow, it's hard to explain in english!

I always remember I had nightmares when I was kid and didn't like the darkness. I had fear to death, existencial questions, etc. What type of visual symptoms do you have? this problems are24/7?
Bookmark and Share