Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Benzo's vs. Beta Blockers?  (Read 269 times)

Offline mistermcgoo

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Benzo's vs. Beta Blockers?
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Hi all,

I'm 25 years old and have been diagnosed with GAD and ADD for about 4 years now. I'm currently on Zoloft 100mg, Adderall 10mg 2x daily and Xanax .25mg 2x daily as needed. My Xanax has done wonders for my anxiety but it leaves me feeling really foggy and my mental alertness is really decreased. Unfortunately my Adderall really amplifies my physical anxiety symptoms. Would a beta blocker benefit me more so than Xanax? Most of my symptoms are rapid heartbeat, elevated pulse, sweating, panicky feelings and the inability to concentrate. My anxiety REALLY affects my working cognition and it makes work extremely difficult as well as some stressful social situations.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Benzo's vs. Beta Blockers?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
I take a beta blocker and a benzo!! I take 25mg of atenolol, works great for the heart and anxiety, I actually may not even need the klonopin anymore!! But I have been on it for 6 years so i'm not sure. I think a beta blocker works well for slowing down the heart which is a main concern for people with anxiety and it sometimes causes a panic attack. Not sure if it would replace the effects of a benzo though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Benzo's vs. Beta Blockers?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:15:41 PM »
Would a beta blocker benefit me more so than Xanax? Most of my symptoms are rapid heartbeat, elevated pulse, sweating, panicky feelings and the inability to concentrate.

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Beta-blockers will reduce some of the symptoms of anxiety such as the rapid heart beat and sweating by blocking beta-adrenaline receptors, however, they have little direct impact on anxiety and panic, though these may improve without those physical cues reinforcing them. So while a beta-blocker probably won't replace the Xanax you may be able to reduce its dose which would help with the fogginess and lack of concentration.

I suggest you and your doctor consider increasing the Zoloft dose as 100mg is still on the low side. You may rarely need the Xanax if the higher Zoloft dose better controls your anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: