Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Would I know if I caught syphilis 3 years ago?  (Read 184 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Would I know if I caught syphilis 3 years ago?
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
My Boyfriend and I were long distance in college (3 years ago).  To my knowledge, I never cheated on him (not even kissing/dancing etc) but I know that I used to drink a lot, as many college kids do.  I only "blacked out" once or twice, and it wasn't really a full-on blackout (just forgetting the walk home, or forgetting getting into bed or something) but I keep worrying that at some point I had sex with a stranger and caught syphilis.  I've been tested for chlamydia, trich, HIV and gonorrhea since my boyfriend and I moved in together, but since I was never tested for syphilis I am so worried!

Would I know by now if I caught syphilis three years ago?  is it possible to be 100% asymptomatic until tertiary syphilis sets in?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kj94702

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Would I know if I caught syphilis 3 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Hi Skleep,
I am, thankfully, no expert on this particular condition. I just did some quick research on your behalf and discovered that "There are only about 20,000 cases of syphilis per year in the entire US, and three quarters of those occur in men who have sex with men." What's more, you develop a chancre/lesion that is quite firm and quite noticeable. My guess is that you should not worry.   

I do know, however, that you can find a lab to test you for this very quickly and very easily. Why wait? Why search the Internet for advice from non-experts like me? Why try to diagnose yourself through symptoms or a lack thereof? If this is something on your mind, go and get tested.

$40 and a few minutes.....seems like a better investment than hours online and days of worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
No, you wouldn't neccessarily know. It's a simple blood test, I'd get checked and put your mind at ease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:55 AM »
This is, these days a rare and thankfully eminently treatable disease. As an aside I used to be an archaeologist and I remember processing the human remains from a medieaval hospital site. Some of those showed signs of Syphillis. Not a nice thing to happen to you then and an eventual death sentence but not any more.

You give no good reason for why you would have it, so it sounds very unlikely but if you are that worried just get a blood test for it :)

By the way, I am intrigued as to why your drinking is relevent here?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: