Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Too freaked to sleep  (Read 198 times)

Offline mstary75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Too freaked to sleep
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »
Every night I stay up until my mind and body can't take any more and I pass out.  I am scared of not waking up in the morning so I put off going to sleep until 1, 2 sometimes 3 in the morning.  Then I wake up with the kids at 6 to get them ready for the day, and try to go to work and be productive.  I work out 5 days a week and try avoid caffeine at night to ensure I am good and tired by bed time, but nothing works.  I don't want to have to resort to sleep aids in order to get a good night's rest.  Has anyone else been through this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Too freaked to sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
Yeah, the problem is that you can condition your body to going with so little sleep that you will need to break the habit . . . . you don't need to take sleeping meds, but you do need some professional guidance . . . in my case, it took about 4-6 weeks of establishing a schedule and keeping to it . . . a friend had her doctor tell her to gradually (and this is the key apparently) build up and use melantonin and within a similar length of time she had reestablished her sleep pattern . . .

However, I think that your sleep pattern is a symptom f your anxiety with respect to not waking up . . . you need to consider some professional guidance there to find out why you have this anxiety and how to manage it . . . .is there some trigger or event? Did you always have this fear??

You can't go on 3 hours of sleep and be productive and take care of kids, etc. You may think that you are pulling together all of the pieces, but you are probably exhausting yourself . . . so for you and your family and your employer and all those who care about you and you about them, I think you need to resolve the cause of your lack of sleep first before anything else . . . .

Always know that we will support you as best we can, but I have gone months at a time on very little sleep and it has taken me a while to get back to a semi-normal pattern . . . .and it doesn't take much for me to fall off the sleep wagon so I am a bit protective of that time . . . .let us know how you are doing . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Andrea24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
I have this sleeping problem too.  Usually I fall asleep by 12, but it is a "conscious" kind of sleep and I wake by 4.  The feeling is horrible.  As before anxiety started to take over my life, sleep was the one thing I looked forward to the most to rejuvenate.  Melatonin is somewhat helpful, but I never feel truly rested in any more.  I want so badly to be back to normal. 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
mstary, I agree you need to address why it is that you have that fear so you can resolve it.

A person needs at least 7.5-8 hours of sleep every night. If you need to wake up at 6:00am go to bed by 11:00pm.

Always stick to a sleeping schedule.

If you can fit in exercise during the day--30 minutes, it will greatly help with sleep.

Avoid caffeine after 2:00pm.

But, I think the thing that is keeping you from sleeping is the fear you have. Do you think you won't wake up in time for your children? Whatever the reason try to resolve that first. Good luck :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: