Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain Tumor Fears Again - Neuro Visit  (Read 392 times)

Offline exradiochick1217

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain Tumor Fears Again - Neuro Visit
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
Hi friends,
I posted awhile back about an eye twitch that I was worried was a brain tumor. I saw a neurologist on Thursday of last week, and he told me that it's very, very unlikely that I would have a brain tumor and only have symptoms of eye twitching. I also get mild headaches and have had them more recently and he didn't seem concerned. My neuro exam was perfect. He ordered a blood workup and CT scan that he said was just for my own reassurance.

Well, over the weekend, my ears totally clogged up and it feels like I am underwater. Also, I've have bad headaches. Could these symptoms also mean I have a brain tumor? I am also having terrible post-nasal drip. I feel all this pressure in my temples and particularly in my left ear.

I don't know whether or not to have the CT scan. I HATE scanning, this will be my 3rd this year (thanks health anxiety!) and I feel like I should just trust the doctor and move on with my life. My husband and family are at their wits end with me and I can't stop crying. I haven't been sleeping well and my stomach is constantly in knots. I don't know what to do and I feel desperate and alone. THIS IS AWFUL. I made an appointment to see my primary doctor tomorrow about my ears so I guess we'll see. I feel like I am never going to be normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline exradiochick1217

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain Tumor Fears Again - Neuro Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
Anybody? Help? I am totally losing it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »
Sorry you are so upset.  Most of us on this site can relate, but what you are describing is very common.  Almost everyone I know has had an eye twitch, me included.  If your neuro says you are OK, I'd listen to him.  If it were me I would most certainly NOT have a CT scan based on that symptom.

As for your ears it sounds as though you have a cold or allergies, nothing life threatening.  It's a good idea to go to your primary doctor and discuss this.  I think he'll probably say pass on the CT scan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
Green took the words out of my mouth. This sounds allergy related to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
CT scan is not a benign test, nor is it the best test to check for a tumor. That would be an MRI.  3 CTs in a year is excessive, that is a lot of radiation for your body. Yes, you should trust your doctor. CT will give you at best temporary reassurance, but ultimately just keep this vicious cycle going.ntalk to your primary doc about recommendations for a counselor if you haven't seen one yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
Eye twitches are often a symptom of stress or lack of sleep--I always get them when I'm going through a stressful time :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline exradiochick1217

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. Since I started worrying about my clogged up ears, my eye twitch is gone. Imagine that. I made an appt. to see an ENT next Monday, so hopefully he'll be able to help me. For whatever reason, I can't seem to shake the idea that this is a brain tumor manifesting itself in some unusual way. Everytime I swallow, my ear crackles and it sends knots into my stomach!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
I feel your pain because I do the same. I read that some types of tumours effect your hearing so now I keep imagining I can't hear properly! Last week I thought I could see flashing lights because the optician asked if I could! The mind works in mysterious ways and it's bloody annoying!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline FreakOutQueen

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
Hi there,

I too have had way more scans than I should. I promise you (absolutely promise) that none of the symptoms you are describing align with symptoms of a brain tumor. I wouldn't have the CT scan unless you absolutely have to. It exposes you to SOOOOO much radiation. Ask your doctor to order you an MRI instead! No radiation, just magnets. If you had a brain tumor you would be experiencing SEVERE headaches, seizures, loss of vision, lack of coordination, and dizziness (to name a few). What it sounds like you have is tired eyes and a cold. Get some rest and don't get a CT scan!

Take care :-)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: