Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: False Memories  (Read 633 times)

Offline wheelie19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
False Memories
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Hey all,

I posted this in the OCD forum but feel it may get more responses here.   Is it more common to have false memories if you have OCD? At first, it was thought I had GAD but, then I started to notice things that I could/had/ couldn't do because of some OCD-like habits.  For example, I categorize things as good or bad and the good can not mix with bad or I think something bad will happen.  It could be that I wore a pair of shoes and something bad happened so I can't wear those shoes again with the good. I do not know if that is truly OCD or just a weird anxiety habit.

Anyways, the thing I struggle with a lot is false memories.  There are ones that I can write off as I KNOW they can not be true but, other ones not so much and that provokes anxiety. 

Is it possible to create an entirely false memory? How can you tell if it is false? When is ok to write it off as "this is anxiety/OCD?" Is it possible to forget a memory for years, remember it, then forget again for a long period or can I take this as a sign of OCD/anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 55
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: False Memories
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:19 AM »
Hi,

Anything is possible with anxiety and how it manifests depends on who we are and our experiences . . .

False memories are indeed possible . . . even people who do not suffer with anxiety can create false memories . . . .for some, it may be a way of trying to get something into your field of perception so you can deal with it; there may be a veneer of reality but it is covered by other layers that are not true . . . for me, I always seek validation in some type of objective reality . . .

Now, if these false memories are overwhelming for you or bother you, a trained professional can guide you in deciding whether your mind is trying to get you to process something or if it is a false memory, how to take it apart and process it . . .

I do not suffer from false memories, but, at times, I think that I remember something . . . it is fleeting snippet from my past but if I cannot validate it, I simply let it go . . . on occasion, I sometimes have the same snippet enter my head . . . . I may sit down and think about it and try to figure out what it might be saying to me directly or indirectly, but usually, I just let it go . . .

If you suffer from OCD, you probably are predisposed to focus on the event . . . . again, perhaps with some professional intervention and guidance on how to manage the OCD with respect to false memories might help . . .  . .

Do you keep a journal of these false memories so you can see if there is a pattern perhaps pointing you to some issue that may be triggering them that you need to address?

Sorry I could not have been of more help, but do continue to post and perhaps another one of our community members may have more insight than I do . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
In my opinion it's not so much (or not at all) ocd creating false memories but ocd analyzing to pieces and not being able to let go.
All people have false memories to a point (like you remember something differently that it actually happened) but are usually able to brush them off. Except if they're really important. Not ocd. Ocd nags and nags and wants proof from the past. Wants reassurance. Well, nothing in life is 100%, especially not in future. So why be bothered about it? I know, easier said than done but from my experience with ocd, the more you let these thoughts just be, the less they nag you.
Be well  :action-smiley-065:!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline wheelie19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
Well see, the one I am struggling with now, small details are the same but the big picture is not something I remember happening.  I also have super vivid dreams (maybe because of meds) and I am wondering if that is what it is.  I am trying not to overanalyze or give it too much time because I know that is what the OCD wants, but then I feel bad because I feel like I don't care and that's bad. The reality of it is that if this were a REAL memory that would matter to me as much as this one would I just don't feel like I could have remembered it like 4 years later. I really despise OCD sometimes. So much self-doubt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
You really cant trust your memory. I know this better than most, because I have memories of impossible things that I know are impossible. A lot of times its little things. Certain words or phrases, that I would misread every time I saw them. whole letters removed, changed around.

I remember events in games that didnt happen. Couldn't happen. Remember events in my life that were impossible.

Somehow, I don't think I do this more than most people. I just had the (un?) fortunate moment when I noticed they were memories and yet were undeniably not possible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wheelie19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
See and that is the hard part I feel like they did not but there is that nagging possibility that they did. When I look back on when this memory first occurred to me there were triggers but it has been bothering me even though at one point I did let this go. I started balling this morning (I did not take meds due to unforeseen curcumistances) which probably didn't help but Friday wasn't great either. It just makes me feel bad
Bookmark and Share

Tags: