Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 104 times)

Offline wantingtobehappyagain!

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introduction
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
Hi Everyone. I'm a middle aged Mother and have been suffering with G.A.D and panic attacks for the last five years. I'm looking to get helpful hints from other anxiety sufferers. I'm on my 3rd med for this horrible crap... and it seems like I just cant find one to work for me. Wondering what other people have tried and had success with. It's so comforting to know that no matter how alone I feel, there are others out there that feel the same as I do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I am 33 and have dealt with anxiety and panic attacks for 9 years...so let me start by saying that you are not alone.  Initially the attacks were sporadic and the occasional Xanax did the trick, then I started my own business, my hubby got out of the army, and I became the sole bread-winner in our family:  hello general anxiety!

The first doc I went to I did not really like (I felt like she was just trying to get me out the door asap) and she gave me a scrip for Wellbutrin.  Not knowing any better since I had never been on meds before I took it.  What a nightmare! I was so manic I couldn't sit still if my life depended on it.  Then I did a bit of research and learned that Wellbutrin is for depression and the associated lethargy, but I am not depressed in the slightest and have more energy than a labrador retriever puppy!

I switched docs and my new doc - who really listens to me and I feel very comfortable with - took me off the Wellbutrin and put me on Zoloft with a side order of Xanax.  The start up side effects were no fun but now that the have passed I feel better than I have in years.  Since we each have a unique body chemistry finding the right med can be a bit of a case of trial an error; again, no fun but in my case well worth it.

As for what I do/did to help get through my panic attacks:

1) distract myself:  play a silly game on my phone, read a book, call a friend and BS, etc.

2) Use sensations to refocus:  exercise, stretch, get your sig. other to rub your back.  Focus on the physical sensation to lessen your focus on the mental turmoil.

3) Read the forums and help others!  When I am focused on helping someone else my own problems take a back seat...and bonus!  I'm helping someone else!

I hope this helps and please hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mothmama

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
 :action-smiley-065:
Im also a mom with general anxiety. You're definitely not alone.  Reading the "success stories" section of this site is really helpful for me, and gives me hope.

Things that have helped me are: CBT, EMDR, meditation, yoga, affirmations, writing, exercise, prayer and gratitude.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. Meds never worked for me either. I would try Omega 3's, magnesium,
L-Theanine for emergencies, etc. It may not be a bad idea to talk to an alternative medicine
physician, as they may have other ways to help you.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: