Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone else do this?  (Read 177 times)

Offline Gemmal

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone else do this?
« on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
I have noticed I am obsessed with cancer as soon as I read about a celebrity or well known person has passed away I immediately google to find myself scrolling through pages upon pages to decifer what cancer it was ( hoping it wasn't the one I fear ) , their symptoms , how they were diagnosed , how long it took until they were diagnosed and the big one : how long from diagnosis to death . Considering I'm on 23 months of no diagnosis convinced( really ) that I have Hodgkin's lymphoma . I'm considering going to the doc tomorrow for bloods ( I mean surely they will be way out of whack by now and I can get the ball rolling .

MADNESS
Bookmark and Share

Offline laura124

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone else do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Yes, actually if anyone is diagnosed with a disease, whether celebrity or my Mom's hairdresser, I creepily want to know all the details of the symptoms, how they got diagnosed, etc....just too much info. Then I take all that information and process it in my head for days and worry that I may have the same symptoms or sometimes it works towards my advantage and I'm relieved that I don't have any of those symptoms........but then I may worry about my friend or family member that DOES have those symptoms and think they should get checked. Well, my brain is always thinking too much about things that never amount to anything but excessive worry. And the worry causes the anxiety physical symptoms that cause my worry. It's a vicious cycle I know. Uuuggghhhh
Bookmark and Share

Offline odnox

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
Yeah, well known people in the news with cancer or having died of cancer gets me going as well.  Farrah Fawcet from a few years back was really the beginning for me.  Being a teenage boy when she was staring in Charlie's Angels, she was always "important."  If that makes sense. 

This year, the last couple weeks have been bad for me because of the anniversary of JFK's assassination.  That's my dad's birthday and he died at 54.  It has me worried about dying young too.  So the last couple weeks have been hard.  Then it seems like every other story in the news is about someone with cancer.  Which is my fear.

I see my doctor tomorrow, so I'm partly relieved and partly scared. 

Anyway, yeah, I get that too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies guys glad to know I'm not alone in this ! It really is a vicious circle I totally agree ! Sorry to hear about your dad odnox it must be tough :(.

I look back on the last two years of my life and I get so angry at how little I've came on and it's all because of this anxiety wishing I could turn the clock back and tell myself I will be here two years later  .

Crazy thing is I will probs spend the next year doing the same .

The joys !
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Absolutely I do exactly this
Bookmark and Share

Offline jennam22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
Yes, yes, yes! Its a very morbid curiosity. I think we do it as a means of being proactive by trying to save ourselves from suffering the same fate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared2011

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
Yes, yes, yes! Its a very morbid curiosity. I think we do it as a means of being proactive by trying to save ourselves from suffering the same fate.
Yep I agree
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything