Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: False Memories and OCD  (Read 1174 times)

Offline wheelie19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
False Memories and OCD
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »
Hey all,

I have never posted in the OCD forum before but, I have a question.  Is it more common to have false memories if you have OCD? At first, it was thought I had GAD but, then I started to notice things that I could/had/ couldn't do because of some OCD-like habits.  For example, I categorize things as good or bad and the good can not mix with bad or I think something bad will happen.  It could be that I wore a pair of shoes and something bad happened so I can't wear those shoes again with the good.

Anyways, the thing I struggle with a lot is false memories.  There are ones that I can write off as I KNOW they can not be true but, other ones not so much and that provokes anxiety. 

Is it possible to create an entirely false memory? How can you tell if it is false? When is ok to write it off as "this is anxiety/OCD?" Is it possible to forget a memory for years, remember it, then forget again for a long period or can I take this as a sign of OCD/anxiety?

Thanks for the help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: False Memories and OCD
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:42:27 AM »
Leave it to the mysteries of our brain to twist and turn and distort however it chooses IF the reasonable part loses control. Happens easily enough when we don't watch out.

When I was little I had one miserable, didactic book of poems, Shock Headed Peter (German, Der Struwwelpeter). It all wants to come back to roost. Must fight it with all I can. I'll repeat, CBT, diet, varied exercise, journaling, meditating. Be strong and you can win.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:17 AM »
I have the "false memory" issue. You can definitely do it. My brain basically creates these false situations/memories as a way to terrorize me - it's always of something I really, really don't want to have happened. That's generally how I recognize it when it happens, and I can say: "Okay, this is the OCD doing this."

I'll be thinking of something that I'm terrified of, let's say stepping on a dirty needle, and I'll think suddenly, "Has this ever happened to me??? What if it did, and I don't remember???" or something along those lines, and my brain will just generate some random situation where I stepped on a dirty needle (like a plausible situation - walking home from school or something), and it will terrify me because I'll wonder if it is a real memory or not, but I generally decide that it isn't, and it's just my brain playing tricks on me.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline wheelie19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
Steph that is exactly what mine are like (different issues but same idea) and it is terrifying.  I don't know whether to write them off as OCD and it makes me feel bad when I do because I feel like it means I don't care
Bookmark and Share

Tags: