Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie intro  (Read 95 times)

Offline lalane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newbie intro
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
Hello - I have a history of depression which appears to have morphed into anxiety over the past few years. I have social anxiety and trouble driving/riding as a passenger at high speeds on the highway (I did have a pretty scary high-speed accident on the interstate in 2002; I'm not sure if this is part of the reason I am now so panicky when driving/riding on the interstate, but I suppose it's possible). I'm extremely jumpy and have brief moments of panic when something scares me. My body overreacts to things like my phone making a noise or my dog moving unexpectedly, but I can't seem to relax enough to have these things not affect me, and I'm afraid it will continue to get worse, to the point where nothing at all triggers the panic. I have been off medication since about 2006, but just recently started back on Celexa as prescribed by my general practitioner. I had good success with this med when I was depressed.

My anxiety causes me to be tense a lot and I carry most of that tension in my neck and shoulders. I have a lot of neck pain and am supposed to contact a physical therapist soon to see if that will help. I imagine massage might also help but the likelihood of me having the courage to go get a massage for the first-time ever is pretty slim, lol. My social anxiety issues cause me to avoid, avoid, avoid. As a result of this I don't really have any close friends. I'm kind of shocked I was able to meet and marry my husband, but I don't think the social anxiety was as bad then.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I look forward to finding my way around the boards. I have to post this now so I don't reread it 50 more times... ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie intro
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline irishmick

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi lalane, I just joined this as well yesterday. I can understand completely what you are feeling. I have seemed to lost all my close friends in the last couple of years and my only friends I talk to are co-workers. they try to get me to do things with them but I always seem to have an excuse not to. its funny you talk about your phone ringing. I have that exact issue going on. as soon as it rings I start to panic, why??? isn't that just stupid. I would get the courage to turn my cell phone over and see that it is my son calling then I feel ok. uggghhh!!!
hope this helps, mick 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sadg1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
Same her ladies i have this social anxiety i try so hard to hide sometimes i can not usually i avoid a lot of people who want to get close to me ... its very embarrassing its nice to talk to others that have it to though ... but yea im almost always tenced up it feels i have to force myself to relax my muscles by tightening each one for 10 secs then release it really does usally work though . .. hope this helps
Bookmark and Share

Tags: