Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I have A LOT of health fears  (Read 604 times)

Offline sjm0502

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have A LOT of health fears
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
For the last two months I've been EXTREMELY worried about my health. I figured I would make this topic with all of my problems so that I wouldn't start crowding the board with all of my worries. Since mid-October I have convinced myself that I have: a brain tumor, diabetic ketoacidosis (on at least three occassions), larynx cancer, sarcoidosis, heart disease, liver cancer and pancreatic cancer. I keep telling myself to not trust Google with medical information but I keep going back and searching for things and finding new things to worry about. My HA started in mid-October after my tension headaches started closely followed by acid reflux and an ear infection. All three happening that close made me think that they were all related. Then factor in the stress I got in late October through mid-November  due to personal issues and that has caused me to be what I am now - a complete mess.

At first I was afraid of a brain tumor due to the small brief headaches that I got. That ended up being tension headaches caused by stress or years of eye strain. Then I decided to search for why I kept coughing. That's when I hit sarcoidosis which "is 10 to 17 times more common in African-Americans" and "most often occurs between 20 and 40 years of age" and thought I had that for several hours. By the end of the night I convinced myself that I didn't have it but the next day I got to larynx cancer. I had to remember the possibility of having GERD due to my acid reflux diagnosis a couple of months ago to convince myself that I didn't have that either.

In some ways I think my other problems might be driving this anxiety. I also have ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome/High-functioning Autism and depression. And I haven't taken depression medication in months now.

One of the things I've been doing to try and calm myself is to list how many major symptoms that probably would have manifested a long time ago that haven't such as vision or speech problems, loss of appetite or dizziness.

Anyways, that's about it. I'm really sorry for all of the topics, I've just been really worried and this is my only outlet since I can't afford a psychiatrist or numerous doctor's appointments.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have A LOT of health fears
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
I am very sorry that you feel this way. Some natural supplements may help such as
Omega 3's, magnesium, L-Theanine and the like. Meditation, bio-feedback, yoga, etc., may also
help. I would also look into free medical services which may be available based on your income.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
That's a good approach. Listing out the major symptoms that would've manifested a long time ago.

You should also find or compile your own list of all the 100+ anxiety symptoms that are possible and use that a baseline first before you go looking at symptoms of other conditions. Really, you wouldn't be here if you didn't already know you have an anxiety issue. GERD and tension headaches are yet just another condition closely associated with anxiety.

I think you might benefit from minimising your intake of sugars, starches and grains. If I could take a best guess, based on correlations, it's possible you have low stomach acid and even have sensitivity to gluten. Marc's posted some good ideas, and balancing Vitamin K and B6 particularly in your case are good for calming and producing more "feel good" chemicals in your brain.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
Well. I'm back with more health fears. I woke up this morning with a sharp pain in the middle of my forehead which is a different place than most of the headaches over the last few weeks and tonight I had a headache in the back of my head and a weird feeling in my stomach (it felt something like nausea but I didn't feel the need to vomit). I'm getting even more scared. Could these be because of anxiety as well. I'm nervous because I still have a whole week before my doctor's appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
I've been feeling more scared than ever this morning. I've had a headache all morning that hasn't gone away. Usually when I take a nap they go away but this one hasn't.

Until I can go to the doctor next Monday I plan on cutting back on my sodium intake (stop drinking soda, eating less fast food) since I read that high levels of sodium is a cause of headaches and I'm hoping I see a change after that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
If you're eating too much sodium, you can balance it out by eating more potassium - like bananas, mushrooms, spinach, dried apricots or plain yogurt even. Eating better foods and cutting out soda sounds like a great idea - all that sugar and carbs are stimulators when you want to be calming down.

Let's subscribe to the most likely case that your headache is just a tension headache, particularly if when you get them they're hopping around and appearing in different places around your head. Do headache tablets not help relieve the pain? You might want to try drinking more water as well.

The unsettled stomach feeling is simply because you're anxious. When you're anxious, blood stops going to your stomach and your digestion slows right down.. so whatever you ate and all the acids are just sitting there. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
Stress and anxiety can cause many symptoms such as headaches, abdominal pain, insomnia and
the list goes on.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »
Okay, now my anxiety has skyrocketed. I just found blood spots on my pillow when I woke up this morning. I can't figure out where they came from because I didn't taste blood when I woke up so I know it couldn't have come from my mouth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
Maybe your nose? This has happened plenty of times to my husband and he is just fine.

The dry winter weather change could have an affect on you sinuses and maybe some irritation caused a little blood.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
Update: I started adding more potassium to my diet. I went and got some yogurt and orange juice on Monday and I got some bananas yesterday. Today I actually woke up feeling better than I have at months and had barely any headaches...until around 10:30 AM. Then my anxiety went back to prior levels. I've had this headache since then (it is currently after 5 PM) and I took some ibuprofen but it didn't work. The headache went away but came back about 30 minutes later. At one point it felt like there was a band tightening around my head. I've also been having some slight trouble finding the right words and it's been scaring me. I've also been feeling my heart beating fast a few times during the last couple of days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
I'm beginning to get worried again. Today I haven't had as many headaches as I usually do but I've been feeling this weird feeling that feels like something is squeezing my head a little. Is this anxiety related too? Aside from that I'm actually feeling better than I have since before my anxiety started.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:34:25 PM »
You're on the right track. Every time you get a tight band around your head, it's a tension headache. Every time you feel your head squeezed, it's a tension headache. Whenever make sudden changes to the way you eat, like cutting out soda or upping your potassium, you'll get a headache as a side effect of your body adjusting to the change. Every time you worry about having a tension headache, you'll get more tension headaches. Anxiety coupled with tension headaches does affect your concentration, impairs your ability to think sharply, and gives you a bit of a foggy head.

Assuming that your doctor when you see them agrees it's just tension headaches too, you might want to try to find some ways to ease the tension. Head, neck and shoulder stretches help if you do them, eating more magnesium like pumpkin seeds helps. Whenever you feel that tight band around your head again, you need to stop that "what if it's X" or "what's if it's Y" loop before it starts. You know the answer but may you still doubt that 'tension headache' is good enough or acceptable as an answer.. because the terrible sensations you feel seem to outweigh something as benign and harmless as a tension headache (comparative to say cancer. I know tension headaches aren't fun so I don't want to devalue their discomfort either).

Remember that anxiety exaggerates what's really going on. You're actually in a pattern now where you're kind of rewarding yourself every time you worry because when your 'fear' doesn't actually pan out, you get relief and are glad that you worried - as if worrying actually prevented your fear. As if worrying has some magical power to stop things from happening. That's a false belief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
Well I went to the doctor yesterday and both my doctor and the nurse who was attending to me before I saw the doctor said everything was probably just stress. My high blood pressure (which was high despite being prescribed blood pressure medication) and my headaches were all attributed to stress. My doctor prescribed me another kind of headache medication and referred me and my mom to a program that would be able to get me my anxiety medication for free. Today I actually feel better than I have in well over two months (aside from some headaches but not as many as before).
Bookmark and Share

Offline sjm0502

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
Anxiety back somewhat. Wasn't having any headaches for most of the day (woke up at 4 AM) and had a sharp pain in my head at around 3:30 PM and another sharp pain about an hour later and several sharp pains over the last 30 minutes. All located over my left eye. Are these tension headaches too?

I know my doctor said the headaches were nothing to worry about and this isn't the first time I've had these sharp pains (I had them when my anxiety first started as well) but all of the progress I made in trying to get rid of my anxiety just seems to be coming undone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: