Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Blah.  (Read 98 times)

Offline Boo.

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Blah.
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:56 AM »
Unless I spend half of my life at the doctor's office or hospital, there's no way of knowing that none of my symptoms are serious. There's no way of knowing if that sharp pain in the side of my head is because of anxiety, or if it's because something terrible is happening to me and I'm gonna die if I don't go to the hospital. There's no way of knowing that the symptoms that start showing up after my head starts hurting are something bad related to it, or if it's just anxiety adding on symptoms.

And that freaking sucks.

I can tell myself a million times that my symptoms are from anxiety, or that they're just random symptoms that anyone could experience and not have a second thought about, but the truth is, I don't know that. And I think that's why I have such a hard time controlling my anxiety. If I didn't have this health anxiety, anxiety symptoms probably wouldn't be quite as bothersome. I might be able to tell myself that it'll go away once this little "episode" is over and actually believe it, and have that belief help the "episode" end sooner. But with the health anxiety, every single symptom that shows up freaks me out worse and I can't calm down at all and then other symptoms come and then I'm an absolute wreck.

Do anxiety meds help with health anxiety or will I always have this awful feeling that something bad is going to happen to me? I've been planning to make an appointment with the Psych Dept. to get some meds, but I don't wanna expect too much if/when I get them and then be surprised when they only help a little...
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blah.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
You know that if everyone worried on your level we'd need thousands more doctors and hospitals; and honestly, nothing would ever get done with everyone perpetually stuck in a waiting room. Because doctors would need doctors who need doctors. Forget about the patients.

Your odds of something being wrong are no better or worse than anyone else's. So why are you worrying and they are not? It's not because they're immortal and aren't afraid of something being wrong. Possibly it might happen. One day... some time later. Maybe.

You are stuck in desolate "what if" town and it's ghosts are haunting you. What's worse is that you are jumping every time they say "boo!".

What it boils down to is that there will NEVER be a guarantee or certainty. There's still a million and one ways to die even if you moved in and lived in a hospital permanently.

How do you really want to spend your time? Surely not 90% of it worrying about things that might happen only 10% of the time?

The more you avoid your fears the more power it has over you. You are avoiding just by reliving your fears over and over and over inside your head, and thinking "what if this terrible (but UNLIKELY) thing happens?" or "what if it's really serious this time (even though last time, and the time before that, and the time before that ... nothing happened)?" etc.

When you start to take action and deal with the fear you will begin to see how your fear was unnecessarily holding you back. So for a start, tackle exactly what you're afraid of.. "uncertainty" and "dying" scream out just from reading your post. Am I wrong?

Maybe it starts with really considering why is dying so bad and terrifying, and working from there in resolving what actions you can take...
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blah.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
^^awesome post :) I'll try to remember this as well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: