Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 170 times)

Offline Kristee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introducing myself
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
I am thankful to have found this forum. I suffer daily with GAD ( generalized anxiety disorder), panic attacks and major depression. I am here for support and helpful behavioral cognitive tips. I read that I can overcome this monster which attacks me daily without being over medicated. I believe the mind is very powerful but wondering if my mind can learn to react differently to anticipated stressors or events that cause the severe anxiety and panic? After a couple of years of several life events happening my mind has been in this vicious cycle now for about 1.5 years. My prior attacks were 8 years prior w Lexapro keeping them at bay. I am on new meds now and my dr wants me to be super medicated but I believe that there must be a way to change my cognitions ( thoughts) and reactions. I have little support. Married w no kids and 2 siblings busy w their own lives who do not understand my daily battle. Mostly, I fear losing my husband. He has several chronic health issues and his own stressors ( trying not to be one of them). I lost a good paying career due to this which has affected us financially which has been another major stressor. In fear of losing my home if something happens to him because I could not afford the home alone. I am also fearful of being home alone ( my pets help out a lot). I was " very" career oriented and it is difficult not earning my own gainful income. I feel so out of control of my life. And, I have an elderly father who is my last parent and afraid of losing who does not live near me. Mostly, I fear not being able to handle these events and being immobilized w another meltdown. I have lost joy in my life, retract from people, and fear going into public  on my own. In addition I have an atypical meniere's disease in which is made worse by panic. Thank you for allowing me in and also look forward to contributing.
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:35:03 AM »
Hi Kristee,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

I can tell you that it is possible to overcome the anxiety without being too medicated.  In fact, I have a lot of success dealing with my anxiety and panic and I do not take any meds for it.  I do however do therapy. The type I do is CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.  This type of therapy has allowed me to retrain my brain and learn skills and tools to cope with the anxiety and continue to live my life.  The main tool that has helped me is acceptance.  Not fighting the anxiety or beating myself up for having anxiety.  Rather I have learned to accept the anxiety for what it is and knowing that it can not hurt me.  I know it is hard to not have much support in dealing with these issues.  I am certainly glad you found us and hopefully you can find the information and support you are looking for here.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
Crikee,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am determined, to eventually, wean down on meds (supervised of course) once I "master" CBT techniques. I am determined to get my life back. I know it may be rough finding my path but I am determined.

Karen
Bookmark and Share

Offline dani_leigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
Kristee,

So sorry to hear about the struggles you're facing. I agree with the previous reply about CBT techniques. The book Feeling Good is an excellent and practical application of CBT skills. The book is actually is written with depression in mind but the tools and skills can be generalized to fit anxiety. I'm pretty sure you can get the book on Amazon or Half.com fairly cheap and think you'll find some very useful information there.

Many blessings to you on your journey with anxiety. I hope you find the support here you're looking for.

Dani
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kristee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion. Could you tell me who the author is for "Feeling Good?" I have found some wonderful and helpful CBT tools on line since I wrote my intro and have been working hard at them. It will take time and practice. I appreciate the support. I'm determined to my journey of healing. I hope this finds others doing well.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: