Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anyone share experiences with Prozac?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Andrea24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anyone share experiences with Prozac?
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »
Hi all  :action-smiley-065:

I started taking Prozac 17 days ago for anxiety and depression--the depression being the worse.  My pdoc had originally given me Zoloft, but because I came down with gastritis (unrelated to the Zoloft) she decided to switch me because she says Zoloft can affect the stomach.  As a side note, my second day on Zoloft was quite good.  While I still felt low and anxious (and had the physical depression symptoms that plague me like headaches, stomach aches, and random body aches), my brain fog was gone! It felt like a miracle.  This one improvement gave me faith that the drug would work--and quite frankly, brain fog is one of the most miserable depression symptoms to me.  But, I had to switch to Prozac after only 5 days on Zoloft.  Immediately on Prozac, I had the energy to get things done--like clean my apartment, cook, do my schoolwork, etc.  Even though I felt very down,  Prozac gave me the energy to get up and do at least some things.  Again, this gave me faith that Prozac would be a good medication for me.  All of the first week--and I only started on 5mgs so it could I have been a placebo effect--I felt ok. "OK" was acceptable as I know these meds don't work overnight.  But, starting week 2 gastrointestinal side effects, insomnia, and other side effects began to kick in.  On day 14, I had to increase my dose to 10 mgs...and I have been taking .25-.5 mgs of Xanax for the last 4 days to help with my increased anxiety and insomnia. I also take Tylenol as needed for the headaches.  Can anyone weigh in about their experiences on Prozac?  Side effects?  How long it took to work? Whatever you want to share, I want to hear.  I want to stick it out at least a month on the Prozac, but now that my gastritis is gone I am considering asking to be switched back to Zoloft--only because I have read that Prozac can increase anxiety even after the initial side effect period has passed. 

Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anyone share experiences with Prozac?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
I was not on prozac nor zoloft (paxil for me) but wanted to suggest you might wanna ask this question in the meds forum too.
Be well!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline howifeel

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Guilt is not a feeling but a verdict.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »
I agree with Leo.

I have taken prozac, zoloft and paxil.

Prozac gave me a spacey and flat feeling. Zoloft was an improvement.

I just wanted to make sure to also mention that medication is only a part of the solution. Medication in conjunction with peer support, therapy, diet and exercise can be very powerful. I also discovered for myself that the hype about how bad Xanax, Ativan and the like are, turned out to be nonsense. I think the use of anxiety medicine for anxiety (rather than getting high) actually is pretty effective. Ativan sometimes gave me a good few hours of sleep, which helped a lot. Medication helped me move on to doing things I otherwise didn't feel like doing in order to get better.

Wishing you well Andrea.
Bookmark and Share
I do things to feel better, I don't wait to feel better to do things.

Offline LostKeys

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »
I had hallucinations with prozac no need to say that med didnt stay with me that long haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline leenalou

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »
hi im on prozac 20mg have been back on them for 11 month just wanted to say hang in there it does get easier
like yourself my first week i felt great week 2 slow decline,
week 3-4 felt like my panic attacks were twice as bad
but then slowly after that day by day it got so much better
hang in there if you can because if they work for you then they are well worth it
ive always suffered side effects with any anti d but once settled i have seen improvement
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

• Rec's: 1
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
I was on prozac for years...at least 10.  Then I stopped taking it because I was one of those anxiety sufferers who believed I could overcome my anxiety/panic/depression without medication.  I went back on it and it had an entirely new effect on me.  It made my anxiety and panic worse.  I was always shaky and couldn't sleep.  After about 30 days, my doc took me off of it and put me on Lexapro.

I liked Lexapro but many places (like county-assisted mental health programs) will not give it because it is expensive, so I was switched to Zoloft, and so far, things are fine.  I have been on Zoloft for more than a year.     
Bookmark and Share

Offline Compulsive

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:11:12 AM »
I got really really anxious when I first started it. I dont think its helping much now but the side effects are gone
Bookmark and Share