Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bowel stuff IBS etc  (Read 272 times)

Offline abitanxious

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bowel stuff IBS etc
« on: December 06, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Hi guys. I also posted this on an IBS specific board but it's not as popular as these boards so thought I'd post here too. I've copied and pasted as I'm on my phone and it's quite lengthy.
There is a bit of TMI so I apologise for that.

Since I was a kid I've had problems going for a 'number 2' and also for as long as I remember I actually get blood sometimes when I go. I talked to my doctor about that a few years ago and he said it's nothing to worry about.
I'm 19 now and suffering. I get nervous that I have bowel cancer, it makes me so anxious, even though really I know I've had problems for years and it's probably IBS. My symptoms: I find it difficult to go most of the time but when I do and for a few days afterwards I can suddenly go a lot and constantly have the urge, and I never feel fully 'empty'. Obviously as I said before sometimes I get blood. It's not everytime and sometimes I can go weeks without blood. Something that's recently started happening or at least happening more frequently now is some days I can go a full day with a LOT of gas. Happens roughly one week a month. And it feels very uncomfortable. I get nauseous a lot but this isn't new, it's been happening for years. In August, something happened that hasn't happened before: I farted and basically some poo came out. I'm scared this is something bad? But to be honest I was very very nervous at that time, I have general anxiety and travel anxiety and the next day I was going to London for the first time on my own so it might have been something to do with that? I'm bloated a lot. Not a new thing. I also have some toilet phobia and I can't go unless everyone is out of the house or quiet lol. I'll be the first to say that my diet is not ideal, in fact, far from it. I know it's really bad but I rarely eat anything healthy, I probably eat more pizza than I drink water (I don't drink water, only fizzy drinks or store juices) and I know my diet is probably a main factor in this. And like I said before I'm a generally anxious person anyway and always have been which doesn't help. I'm on Risperidone and Sertraline medication.
What I'm basically asking is: could this be bowel cancer? And also what can I say to my doctor about this? I've mentioned having toilet problems a few times to him but he always says it's just stress and anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bowel stuff IBS etc
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »
Hi guys, the original post was me, I was a bit nervous about posting with my name but now I'm past caring, I think I just need reassurance/advice from an IBS sufferer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »
It's highly likely you already know the answer - which is "I know my diet is probably a main factor in this".

Your diet sounds to me like itís very inflammatory, having lead to your host of gut issues, and it could very possibly be IBS. Without being a doctor able to diagnose you, nobody here can really say for sure. But you do need to speak to your doctor about it - explaining your concerns and all the symptoms youíve said here because anxiety is comorbid (happens together with) IBS in most cases. Considering that you are so afraid you might get cancer, it's better to nip this in the bud now than later so that you can enjoy a healthy sense of well-being rather than when it's no longer something you can control or it becomes intolerably worse.

If it is IBS, your doctor likely tell you what I'm telling you now, in that you need to modify your diet and reduce your stress as much as possible.

In modifying your diet, you need work out what are your triggers. I'd say you probably have blood-sugar issues too.

Anyway, the simplest way to identify the right trigger foods is to first follow an elimination diet for seven days ó a meal plan that avoids all potential offending foods, then slowly reintroduce those same foods one by one. Along the way you keep track of reactions to foods you are reintroducing in a food diary. The type of elimination diet will depend on whether you're more prone to diarrhea or to constipation. Since I don't know the answer, I'd can't offer much on what to follow.

I'd really cut out fizzy drinks and juices out, and drink water. 2-3 litres per day. Even the slightest dehydration sets off alarms in your body to make you anxious.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
It's highly likely you already know the answer - which is "I know my diet is probably a main factor in this".

Your diet sounds to me like itís very inflammatory, having lead to your host of gut issues, and it could very possibly be IBS. Without being a doctor able to diagnose you, nobody here can really say for sure. But you do need to speak to your doctor about it - explaining your concerns and all the symptoms youíve said here because anxiety is comorbid (happens together with) IBS in most cases. Considering that you are so afraid you might get cancer, it's better to nip this in the bud now than later so that you can enjoy a healthy sense of well-being rather than when it's no longer something you can control or it becomes intolerably worse.

If it is IBS, your doctor likely tell you what I'm telling you now, in that you need to modify your diet and reduce your stress as much as possible.

In modifying your diet, you need work out what are your triggers. I'd say you probably have blood-sugar issues too.

Anyway, the simplest way to identify the right trigger foods is to first follow an elimination diet for seven days ó a meal plan that avoids all potential offending foods, then slowly reintroduce those same foods one by one. Along the way you keep track of reactions to foods you are reintroducing in a food diary. The type of elimination diet will depend on whether you're more prone to diarrhea or to constipation. Since I don't know the answer, I'd can't offer much on what to follow.

I'd really cut out fizzy drinks and juices out, and drink water. 2-3 litres per day. Even the slightest dehydration sets off alarms in your body to make you anxious.
Thanks for your reply. I know you're right. I'm just so nervous, I'm making myself ill. Considering one of the things that's triggered me happened in August and it's December now, it's unlikely to be cancer, right? I mean apart from my random anxious spells I have been fine and doing stuff to push myself like going out and stuff.
I hate that I can't go to the loo without completely freaking out. Every time I think I'm okey I go to the loo and something else triggers me. I just can't cope. I'm going to the doctor on Monday to tell him about my IBS/bowel cc fears
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Itís perfectly normal and understandable that youíre nervous. Donít be too harsh on yourself about that. Nobody wants cancer. On the bright side, itís better to be nervous now and check things up with your doctor so that you know for sure. And yes, while itís always possible, itís unlikely to be cancer. In fact, 80% of people diagnosed are aged 60 or overÖ It also depends on whether anyone in your family has it.

Remember that our anxious brain is great at jumping to the worst-case scenario, bypassing all the real, lesser issues itís more likely to be.  When weíre under Ďthreatí or in Ďdangerí (as opposed to a false sense of danger), we donít have time to go through each and every option, so our brain is conditioned to quickly scope for the worst possible case rather than take its logical, methodical time.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline Storyweaver

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:46:41 AM »
I would say your diet is the main factor in this. I also have alot of bowel and digestion problems and I would say in no way does this point to bowel cancer personally. I'm 23 years old myself.

of course I am not trained medically and I have not examined you so I can not say for sure. But I know how much diet effects everything! I found out I am allergic to dairy this year. The fact you eat so much pizza truly makes sense as to your problems.

Crossing over to a healthy diet can seem overwhelming at first, but boy is it worth it. :)

To begin with, I would start drinking 8 cups of water a day. Preferably alkaline water. You need this to "lubricate" your organs for waste removal. You also need to be eating foods high in fiber. Increase your vegetable intake, fruits as well. Start taking smoothies as a meal replacement a day and you should see a difference. Herbs and teas help with digestion as well. Give peppermint, ginger, chamomile and anise a try!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: