Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: beta blockers?  (Read 254 times)

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
beta blockers?
« on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Does anyone know anything about them? I have a few questions. Lately my heart has just been to much to handle. I will get random tachycardia attacks that last for a few minutes.. Feels like a big bolt of adrenaline.. I am never anxious before it happens.. In fact it has  happened only when I am just relaxing, or hanging out with my family. It is becoming more and more frequent, and my mom has had the same exact thing, which she eventually had to have a heart ablation because of it. So now I'lll just go to my cardio.  I have a appointment Monday.. But I am worried about taking beta blockers.. Are they dangerous? What will my average heart rate become when I am on them?  Will they help with anxiety as well? How do they make you feel?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Emski1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: beta blockers?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
Hi i am currently taking beta blockers and like you i was scared to take them i am on propranlol 10mg four times a day they have stopped the palpitations i was getting but i still get the racing heart from panic attacks i take my heart rate and it hasnt dropped below 70 it averages out most of the time 84 the only thing is i cannot seem to sleep properly on themand for some reason i worry abput my blood pressure they dont help with my other anxiety symptoms though:( hope this helps!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Beta blockers will help with your heart rate, are typically well tolerated, help with anxiety and are cardio-protective
according to my wife who is a long time pharmacist and my internal medicine physician. Propranolol is used a lot
for anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
Beta blockers will help with your heart rate, are typically well tolerated, help with anxiety and are cardio-protective
according to my wife who is a long time pharmacist and my internal medicine physician. Propranolol is used a lot
for anxiety.

How low do they make your heart go? My heart rate can be in the 60's at night, I think I would get scared if it was hanging out in the 30's or something.. Also, do they have ones you can take one a day? 4 pills a day seems a bit much.. Like time release ones? How do they affect exercise, because I do a lot of cardio. And can you just stop taking them? I am afraid that if I took them for like 10 years and stopped for some reason my heart would forget what to do, and then I would have to get a pacemaker or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback btw  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
I am 57 years old and have been on Propranolol since I was 50. I am on a dose of 80mg long acting.
I take one pill in the morning after I eat breakfast. It has helped with my anxiety greatly. I still
get heart palpitations sometimes, but they are not as severe overall. My heart rate never drops below
53-55 or so and I really have had no side effects except for very vivid dreams. ( I wish some of the dreams were real). There are many types of beta blockers, so if one does not work well, you can try others. If you ever need to come off of them, you can be slowly weaned off over a period of time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Sounds very doable.. Thanks for the info. I will consult my doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
Unfortunately, I did not fair well in my experience with beta blockers. I was prescribed Atenelol many years ago for my palps and anxiety. It only took pills for me to stop taking it. It basically made me feel like I was having a heart attack. I'll keep my palps, thank you. I've had them since childhood and they haven't hurt me yet.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
Propranolol has been around the longest of them all and is the one most prescribed for anxiety. The developer of Propranolol was actually awarded the Nobel prize for its development. Metoprolol is prescribed more after a heart attack. Everyone is different, so what may work for one person, may not work for others. My wife who has been a pharmacist for over 30 years, told me that they are generally well tolerated in over 90% of individuals taking them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skim50

• The BooBoo Guru
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
I am looking forward to see what my doctor says. I've been talking to a few people on here who have said that it helped them a lot. But like any drug, everyone's reactions are different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tahowell2

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:28:42 AM »
I took Metaprolol OP and it was meh. I felt lethargic on the medication, and I did not enjoy exercising while on it. If you do not like the one you get, then see what other types are on the market. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: