Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Irrational thinking?  (Read 176 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Irrational thinking?
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
I know this might sound pretty out there, and even my brain *sort of* recognizes that this is a long shot, but I've been really terrified lately that with all of my blood work being done, someone somewhere might have reused a dirty needle on me - accidentally, of course. I just don't remember seeing one of the phlebotomists unwrap a new needle the last time I was in the ER. I wasn't really paying attention because I was so stressed out anyways, and I really regret it, because my brain keeps saying "what if" and I know it'd be my fault for not paying enough attention.  :traurig001:

I guess what freaks me out the most about it was that it wasn't the typical blood drawing equipment. They used a syringe, and I clearly remember being scared for a minute because it looked like the guy pushed in on the syringe a bit, and I thought I might get an air embolism. Now I think he pushed in because it was clogged with old blood because it was reused.

He would notice if it was reused, right? That'd be highly unlikely to happen? Especially in a major hospital? I know this has to be my anxious brain playing tricks on me, but I just can't shake the fact that I didn't see him unwrap a new one.  :(
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 84
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irrational thinking?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Well, either way, you have no control over what happened, so as hard as it might be, it'll do you some good to try and let this go.

Both of these scenarios are incredibly unlikely—that the needle was dirty or that by "pushing on it" it caused an air embolism.

A hallmark of anxiety is fretting about things we have no control over. When you recognize this as a feature of your anxiety, and nothing more, it'll help you more easily get past it.

Are you doing anything at the moment to actively treat your anxiety? 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Well, either way, you have no control over what happened, so as hard as it might be, it'll do you some good to try and let this go.

Both of these scenarios are incredibly unlikely—that the needle was dirty or that by "pushing on it" it caused an air embolism.

A hallmark of anxiety is fretting about things we have no control over. When you recognize this as a feature of your anxiety, and nothing more, it'll help you more easily get past it.

Are you doing anything at the moment to actively treat your anxiety?

Yes, I am. I've been started on medication, and I'm doing CBT every two weeks. It just doesn't seem to be enough yet.

Things I don't have any control over seem to be the worst for me because I always think that I could have or should have had control. Like I should have checked and made sure that the needle was fresh, but I didn't, and now I can't do anything about, and it causes me even more anxiety.

I'm definitely going to try to let it go because I know how unlikely it is. It's just hard. :/
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
Dirty needles don't happen where we live. Period. Because first of al we live in a society where we like to sue everybody that we believe did something to harm us and second because needles don't cost a thing. It's also much safer and more comfortable for both patient and nurse/doctor to work with a new needle because they get blunt very very quickly. There's absolutely no reason for any medic to use a needle twice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 04:56:40 PM »
It wasn't a used needle; nowadays the protocol is to immediately discard a used needle in bio-hazard trash bins. My Dad had a medical condition that required a weekly injection. And low and behold I as anxious as I am had to be the one who gave him his injections. I was absolutely scared that I would catch his condition from accidently sticking myself with the needle. But I was very careful and it never happened. Oh, along with injections I was given a bio-hazard container to discard the used needles after each use. So, my point is, used needles are definitely thrown away after being used, so don't worry :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
Things are monitored very closely today, so the chances of anything going wrong are extremely remote.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.