Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Increased Anxiety While Waiting  (Read 208 times)

Offline blkhwksfan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Increased Anxiety While Waiting
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
One thing I have noticed with my situation is that when I have to wait to have something done or just simply waiting in a line for a long time, my anxiety goes up to another level.

I am currently writing this while sitting waiting to have new tires put on my car and the wait will be around a little over an hour.  I am in a state of increased anxiety because I obviously don't have control over the situation.  I fear that I will be sick or have a sudden need to leave and my only way out would be the car that they are working on.  I have explained this to my therapist but we have yet to determine a solution or even something to help provide some relief to how I feel.

I have never in my life felt so out of control as I have over the last several months and it is situations like these that make me so sick to my stomach with anxiety.

Does anyone have any advice on how to relieve symptoms during these extreme stressors as well as how to get past the feeling of needing to have control of a situation?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline tlebo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increased Anxiety While Waiting
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
I try to keep my mind off of it. Try looking at stuff online, read, maybe go for a walk.
It is sometimes easier said then done. When my supporters tell me to think of something else I think it's impossible!
But keeping yourself busy I find helps me.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
Hi, I get that way too. The worst (most anxious) time of my life I could not stand to wait at a red light. And one particular light would take forever to turn green. A few times it sent me into complete panic that once the light turned green I turned back around and went home. My thought of why not being able to wait happens is that when a person has anxiety their nerves are already in a sensitized state making patience more difficult. So, relaxation techniques might be helpful in that situation. Good Luck :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline laineymom

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
Yes, this happened to me on Black Friday at WalMart- I was waiting in line for an ipad and was really anxious, kept getting sweaty and nauseous, then because my mouth gets dry when I'm anxious I got really thirsty too. The store started filling up with people, I knew I had to stay in line if we wanted to get the thing for cheaper, so I was stuck. The line was near the auto departement at the back of the store, so if I needed to get out, I had to go all the way to the front. The auto area door was locked and alarmed. I felt pretty trapped. I know, what is someone with anxiety like that doing at WalMart on Black Friday? I kept asking myself that too!  I had to play a quiz game on my phone to distract myself. I tried talking to people around me too. I'm sure they thought I was weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline blkhwksfan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
Thank you so much for your responses.

I have been having extreme anxiety for the last several months and although I will say it is getting better with treatment, I just want it to get better faster.  I know that it is a long road and I find myself dwelling on future events rather than living in the moment even though the present moment is hard as well.  I am always worried about letting people down by not being able to be there for something important where someone is relying on me.

The biggest fear is getting sick and bed ridden on the days when I have someone relying on me or when I have an appointment I have to keep.  On those days, I wake up to anxiety and it takes so much out of me that I am exhausted by 2:00 in the afternoon.  I never realized how anxiety can take so much out of you physically.

Getting a cold or anything like that doesn't bother me but I have been dwelling on coming down with a "stomach flu".  What's worse is that it worries me even more when I am not at home and I find myself wondering what I would do if something like this came on and what I would do to get home.

The gastrointestinal effects caused by my anxiety are the worst part of the entire thing.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »
Hi blkhwksfan...  Thanks for the post.  This happened to me just this afternoon.  School had just let out, and I decided to pull into a local fast food restaurant, and grab a bite.  The drive thru was packed.  By the time I found myself between the order and pay windows, my anxiety was so bad that I wanted to pull out of the line.  I made myself stay in the line, took slow, deep breaths, and by the time I was at the pick-up window, I was okay.  I know that we have to push ourselves like this, if we expect to get better.  I also know that it isn't easy.  The best to you...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: